wire switch to 4 lights, source not INTO switch

Old 11-14-06, 01:09 PM
wire switch to 4 lights, source not INTO switch

I want to rewire a switch that currently turns on ONE light in my basement circuit, so that it turns on all FOUR lights* instead.

Currently the one light is wired like so:

http://www.indepthinfo.com/wire-switch/light-switchoutlet.shtml

Which I gather is the typical way to wire one light in the MIDDLE of a circuit. The other three lights have chain pulls to turn on and off.

If the lights are at the compass points, the source enters the South light, but the switch is currently on the East light and the other two form the rest of the circuit*.

I was hoping to take 14/2 wire from the switch and move it to the South light (where I can catch the source) so that the switch operates everything on the circuit.

Can I do it by adapting this basic configuration:

http://www.indepthinfo.com/wire-switch/switch-light.shtml

with the exception that the black wire from the top is actually the white wire in my 14/2 to the switch, and I mark both ends with a piece of electrical tape? Then I just pigtail all of the whites and all of the blacks (including the now taped one from the switch) together?

thanks.

(* actually, the circuit has an outside outlet and an outside light as well - 5 lights and one outlet total, but these latter two have their own switches in the circuit, so can be turned off independently)

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-06, 08:27 PM
You are going to have to do a better job describing what you have and what you want to do.

Essentially you can do anything, if you rewire.

Old 11-15-06, 07:18 AM
source IS into switch, got it

I was overthinking it - haven't done much wiring. I figured by the time I described it I should just give it a try and it WORKS fine. Nevertheless, for posterity...

I have five lights and one outlet in ONE circuit. I used to have only one switch on only one of the lights in the circuit - a wall switch that is - the rest of the lights have chain pulls directly on the lights (basement).

I moved the wires for that wall switch to the "first" light in the circuit - the one where the source joins - and so I joined the switch's white to the source's black and then just added the switch's black to the black pigtail that contains all the black wires for the rest of the circuit (see second link above for reference).

Not sure I want the outlet switched but I think I only have to move that black wire from that over to the source wire that attaches to the white to the wall switch - i.e. in that pigtail, source black, outlet black, switch white (with electrical tape on it to mark as hot).

sound good?

Old 11-15-06, 07:27 AM
Yes, that does sound correct.