Live wire in the ground

Old 11-14-06, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Live wire in the ground

I mentioned in a different thread that excavators snapped some wires I had in the ground. Well, they snapped wires that were there when I got the house ( i replaced them) in the back and they also snapped wires in the front that I ran.

The ones in the front I never replaced. They were run underground - about a foot or so down (I know it should be 18 inches).

This wire was switched - i planned on putting a light in the garage. So, if I turn the switch on in the house, I power a line in the ground that is broken.

Is this dangerous? It never tripped a breaker or anything.

Do I need to dissconnect the wire from my box so it is no longer switched and cant get power?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-06, 01:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
> Do I need to dissconnect the wire from my box so it is no
> longer switched and cant get power?

Yes. Abandoned wires should be disconnect and removed from any box where they could get power. While a broken underground wire is probably not a huge safety hazard, it can cost you in wasted electricity conducted from the broken cable through the Earth if you leave it switched on accidentally. It would be possible the cable poses an electrocution hazard to barefoot people or animals too; especially if the ground is wet.