gfci problem

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-06, 05:05 PM
gfci problem

I had to fix a cabinet in my kitchen today and put a few screws in the wall. First I had to disconnect a fluorescent light from underneath the cabinet. To make a long story short after I put the cabinet back on the wall and light back in place it didn't work and neither did the gfci outlet it is wired to. I got my tester out and there was energy going through all wires. Anything I plugged into the outlet didn't work but was electrified. The tester went off as far away as 3" at any area on the appliance plastic and metal. I took the cabinet back down and cut away sheetrock wherever I put screws and nothing was hit. Last thing I did was switch out the gfci outlet with another one in the kitchen and sure enough that was the problem. When I hooked the bad gfci to any outlet in the house the same thing happened. Someone in my family told me they got a shock trying to turn the undercabinet light on last month. I thought these outlets are suppose to protect you. I only checked it to cover a base. I didn't think that would be the problem. Is this common with these??

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-06, 07:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Perhaps the GFCI was wired wrong. There is no such thing as "nuisance" or "false trip with these devices.

The fact that you changed it (with new?), and all is ok, should atest to that.

Unfortunately,these fail "on". That should change. Meaning if they go bad,you should know (no power), not get hurt.

Old 11-14-06, 08:17 PM
Yeah that's the way they are suppose to fail but this one when wired to any outlet had a hot neutral wire. I checked it after I pulled it from the original outlet box and it was wired correct. I replaced gfi outlets before because they stopped tripping but this is something new to me. When it's wired up it what it is doing is sending the power from the hot to the nertral. Strange to me.

Old 11-14-06, 08:36 PM
GFCI receptacles and devices are supposed to be tested once a month. When was the last time you tested this one? Enough said.

Old 11-14-06, 08:51 PM
I don't know, maybe 2 months ago. I just thought it was real strange the way it went. Like I said when I wired it up to an outlet on a different line the hot and neutral wires had power. Almost like it bridged the two. Basically it shorted.

Old 11-15-06, 03:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How did you test it? With what type of tester?

I don't know of any that fail safe. Breakers included.

Old 11-19-06, 04:00 PM
I am closing this thread. The original problem has been dealt with. Starting a tangent in another direction is not necessary.

Closed Thread