gfci problem

Closed Thread

  #1  
Old 11-14-06, 05:05 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 128
gfci problem

I had to fix a cabinet in my kitchen today and put a few screws in the wall. First I had to disconnect a fluorescent light from underneath the cabinet. To make a long story short after I put the cabinet back on the wall and light back in place it didn't work and neither did the gfci outlet it is wired to. I got my tester out and there was energy going through all wires. Anything I plugged into the outlet didn't work but was electrified. The tester went off as far away as 3" at any area on the appliance plastic and metal. I took the cabinet back down and cut away sheetrock wherever I put screws and nothing was hit. Last thing I did was switch out the gfci outlet with another one in the kitchen and sure enough that was the problem. When I hooked the bad gfci to any outlet in the house the same thing happened. Someone in my family told me they got a shock trying to turn the undercabinet light on last month. I thought these outlets are suppose to protect you. I only checked it to cover a base. I didn't think that would be the problem. Is this common with these??
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 11-14-06, 07:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA.
Posts: 2,113
Perhaps the GFCI was wired wrong. There is no such thing as "nuisance" or "false trip with these devices.

The fact that you changed it (with new?), and all is ok, should atest to that.

Unfortunately,these fail "on". That should change. Meaning if they go bad,you should know (no power), not get hurt.
 
  #3  
Old 11-14-06, 08:17 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 128
Yeah that's the way they are suppose to fail but this one when wired to any outlet had a hot neutral wire. I checked it after I pulled it from the original outlet box and it was wired correct. I replaced gfi outlets before because they stopped tripping but this is something new to me. When it's wired up it what it is doing is sending the power from the hot to the nertral. Strange to me.
 
  #4  
Old 11-14-06, 08:36 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
GFCI receptacles and devices are supposed to be tested once a month. When was the last time you tested this one? Enough said.
 
  #5  
Old 11-14-06, 08:51 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 128
I don't know, maybe 2 months ago. I just thought it was real strange the way it went. Like I said when I wired it up to an outlet on a different line the hot and neutral wires had power. Almost like it bridged the two. Basically it shorted.
 
  #6  
Old 11-15-06, 03:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA.
Posts: 2,113
How did you test it? With what type of tester?

I don't know of any that fail safe. Breakers included.
 
  #7  
Old 11-19-06, 04:00 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
I am closing this thread. The original problem has been dealt with. Starting a tangent in another direction is not necessary.
 
Closed Thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'