Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

can you use both the backstab and screw terminal of an outlet

Old 11-15-06, 10:45 AM

I want to add an additional outlet. currently the screw terminal are used to interconnect the outlets. can I use the backkstabs to connect an additional outlet? If not I know to just twist the wires together to free up the terminals.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-06, 10:57 AM
Yes, you are allowed to use the backstabs and the screw terminals.

But donít do this. NEVER use backstabs. They are inferior connections and are prone to failure, especially on heavily used circuits.

Instead wire nut the three wires together with a fourth pigtail and connect the pigtail to the receptacle. (Or wire nut two wires together with a pigtail connected to one screw, and connect the other wire to the second screw.)

Old 11-15-06, 02:01 PM
Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say NEVER use them... They're designed and listed to be used, they just tend to be problematic and are difficult to troubleshoot. If he's only worrying about a single outlet, it shouldn't be an issue.

Old 11-15-06, 02:19 PM
Group Moderator
If he has #12 wire and a newer 15 amp receptacle the question is probably moot. Newer 15 amp receptacle back stabs I've seen only work with #14.

Old 11-15-06, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by grover
Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say NEVER use them... They're designed and listed to be used, they just tend to be problematic and are difficult to troubleshoot. If he's only worrying about a single outlet, it shouldn't be an issue.

I agree that back stabs are legal. But I also agree, NEVER USE THEM.

Old 11-15-06, 03:36 PM
Whay is the size of the box??? If you have that many conductors, the box may be overloaded, conductor count wise.

Old 11-15-06, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Just Bill
Whay is the size of the box??? If you have that many conductors, the box may be overloaded, conductor count wise.
22.5 CU IN