Wire nut question?

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-06, 12:32 PM
Wire nut question?

Sorry silly question. So how do you put wire nuts on the wire? Do you twist the wires together first then put the wire nut on ( that how I do it) or can you just put the ends of the wires all next to each other then twist the wire nut on?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-06, 12:55 PM
The splice must be mechanicly secure before a nut is on it . So use your lineman's and give it a good twisting first.

Old 11-15-06, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by burkej62
The splice must be mechanicly secure before a nut is on it . So use your lineman's and give it a good twisting first.
Thats what I usually do. I was just curious if there was a better way. Thanks

Old 11-15-06, 01:29 PM
The answer to your question is yes.

There are those who pre-twist, and there are those who do not. There is no requirement either way.

Old 11-15-06, 01:30 PM
I, for one, never pre-twist. I will even up the ends of the wires to be twisted, insert them into the nut evenly, and begin twisting. Once tight, I will tug on each wire in turn to ensure it is not loose.

Old 11-15-06, 01:44 PM
The thing I don't like about pre-twisting is that the jaws of the pliers dig the surface of the wires. I was taught & have read that nicking the copper wire is a bad thing. Same thing when twisting a loop for screw terminals ( I hate/don't trust the stab terminals)

Old 11-15-06, 02:18 PM
Depends on the brand. The wirenuts I use are UL listed for not twisting; pre-twisting can actually interfere with the action of the nut and lead to a weak splice, but it's not prohibited to pre-twist. I do pretty much like thezster does.

Good rule of thumb: read the instructions and follow them and you'll be safe. And always give a tug test!

Old 11-15-06, 03:17 PM
Some wirenuts are rated such that there is no pre-twisting necessary. Others require pre-twisting.

If you think that pre-twisting could ever cause a problem then you need to carefully examine how you do your work. The problem is not with the twisting or not of the wires on a connection, it is with your understanding of electricity.

Old 11-15-06, 03:55 PM
jwhite, it has to do with the twisting and the threading- the threads in the nut are designed to bite into the copper. If the wire is pre-twisted, the threads and copper line up and bite less, and don't bond as well, reducing the torquing effect of the nut. This came up in a thread on ECN a while back, and Joe Tedesco raised some very interesting points, I'll see if I can find it.

Don't let your preconcieved notions and "we've already done it this way" stop you from doing it right.

Old 11-15-06, 04:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
"If the wire is pre-twisted, the threads and copper line up and bite less, and don't bond as well, reducing the torquing effect of the nut."

I thoroughly disagree with this assertion.

Pre-twisting will never "cause" a problem, but it can, and regularly does, avoid them.

If the mighty mods need to save server space then I bet you can see where this thread is heading.....

Old 11-15-06, 04:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A propper splice is a propper splice.

It's important to make sure the insulation is even, the copper is trimmed and the connection is tight.

Don't use the nuts that come with the devices. If you look closely, you'll see there is nothing but plastic in them(no metal spring).

Old 11-15-06, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
Mighty mods???
Hmm, if I'm that mighty then I'll offer my ver of using a wire nut before closing this thread.

1, Strip wires the length it says on the box of wire nuts for the size you are using.
2. Line the ends up without twisting.
3. Thread on wire nut good and tight but not too tight.
4. Gently pull connector and check for a loose conductor(s).

I think that considering we are all pros here there must be more ways to skin a cat than just one.

Closed Thread