Box Installed To Short for Drywall

Old 11-16-06, 07:58 AM
Box Installed To Short for Drywall

Hi everyone,
A while ago, I posted a q about the depth at which I need to set my electric boxes. There was a tab at 3/8" and that was I set them to. I then installed 1/2" drywall over them. Now, my boxes are recessed by 1/8". I don't know what I was thinking, I should've just used the 3/8" drywall!

The problem now, is that my outlets push in when I plug something in, as there's nothing holding them in place. Do they make some sort of 1/8" extension for the box? Or maybe a plate that goes over the drywall? Surely someone must have had this problem in the past, what's the best solution?

Thanks!
Jeremy

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-06, 08:13 AM
They make extensions for boxes.

However, you do not need them. 1/8 inch is an allowed amount for the box to recess. The ears of the devices go up against the face of the drywall.

Old 11-16-06, 08:46 AM
Racraft,

I installed three boxes in all and it was not only my first attempt at installing electrical outlets but also my first attempt at hanging drywall. Two out of the three work like you said, with the 'ears' resting against the drywall, and thus when I plug something into them, they don't sink back into the wall. However, the first hole I cut is just a smidge to short, so that there's not enough drywall to sufficiently support the force of the plug being inserted, and sinks back into the wall when ever I plug something in.

Jeremy

Old 11-16-06, 09:00 AM
Technically, your gap between the drywall and elec box should also be no more than an 1/8". If you cut the holes to big, you'll need to tape and mud to make up the difference. Then your "ears" will have a home.

Old 11-16-06, 09:41 AM
You can buy extenders for the boxes. If you have trouble finding them at the big box stores, try an electrical supply house.

Old 11-16-06, 09:44 AM
That I will! Thanks!!

Old 11-16-06, 10:33 AM
wgc
what type?

So that brings up a question I was wondering about before ...

Can anyone recommend a specific type or style to the original poster (and the rest of us)? At my local big box store I see three style and don't know whether to prefer any specific type in any situation or just go with whatever works.

1) steel mud ring. It wouldn't work in this case, but it should be part of this list.

2) plastic ring shaped like a switch box. I see these in various widths, including 1/8"

3) small plastic tabs that just fit under the ears. They are 1/8" each and interlock so you can stack them. They are also the least expensive.

Old 11-16-06, 10:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
> just go with whatever works.

Depends on the situation; whatever works. Also using spec-grade receptacles is sometimes an option too. The ears on the spec-grade receptacles are usually a bit longer and much stiffer, so they will fasten more securely to the drywall around the box if the hole is a bit too big.