Panels main/sub for a new house

Old 11-22-06, 05:29 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Panels main/sub for a new house

This house is a two story with a basement. The applances are gas. A electrian likes to used a main panel down the basement and a sub at the top of the basement steps. The sub panel is for convenience if a breaker trips. I think the main down the basement take care of the basement circuts. The sub will take care of 1 and 2 floors circuts. It is a 150 amp service. Would it matter if the applance where elect?
A What does other members think of his idea?

B The main, should it be a panel with breakers or some kind of disconnect to feed the sub and have the feed the whole house[the main 150 amps /the sub 100 amps] if i used 150 with breakers
C The sub 3 conductor with ground since it will be away form the main a distance is there anything else has to be done wirh it [i would guess about 20 to 25 feet away]

Old 11-22-06, 06:16 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Question

What is the square footage of the home?

A sub for "convenience", In case a ckt trips?
#1- The ckt should not trip, unless faulted or over loaded.
If wired correctly, it should not over load. Faults happen.

Most homes a 150 Amp is fine.
If electric appliances.. Then you must recalculate. Most instances, should'nt matter. Back to size of home and appliances.

The main disconnect can be in or outside. if outside, then the main panel is a sub panel.

Now, Why is the Electrician proposing a Main and a sub?

On the face, (before knowing more) The one panel should be enough.

Old 11-23-06, 07:38 AM
R
I too think that a sub panel at the top of the steps is a bad idea. No need for it, and I would be concerned about proper access space as well.

Old 11-25-06, 10:38 AM
W
the only benefits would to be able to have an easy place for future access or more breaker spaces..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: