installing outlet from switch

Old 11-19-06, 06:51 PM
installing outlet from switch

this is my first post and hope you can help...I have a dimmer switch in a j box and want to put outlet beside it powered by the wires in dimmer box...dont want dimmer to effect the outlet..the wires in dimmer box are:
3 blk wires,1 white w/blk tape,1 white regular,1 red,the regular white and the red are not used and are wire nutted...on the dimmer switch itself 2 blk wires and 1 green wire go to it...I hope this is enough information...thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-06, 08:02 PM
you are going to need to determine if the white wire w/o the back tape is a neutral. To do this, take a multimeter set to 200 V AC. Touch one probe the a stripped section of the white wire, touch the other probe to the white wire with black tape. If you get 120 volts, it is probably a neutral. Let us know if you have a neutral at the switch.

Old 11-20-06, 05:20 AM
No, this is NOT enough information. How many wires in total are in the box (not counting the dimmer wires) and how are they connected to anything.

Old 11-20-06, 09:18 AM
@jmchargue...I have touched the white wire and the white w/black tape together and there is no current

@racraft...there are 7 wires in the box not counting the dimmer wires....the white wire is nutted by itself,the red wire is also nutted by itself,2 grounded wires are twisted together,white with black tape and a black wire are nutted together and go to black on dimmer, the last black in the box goes to the other black wire on the dimmer, the dimmer green is wire nutted to the 2 twisted ground wires..........the dimmer powers a chandelier..hope this helps

Old 11-20-06, 09:41 AM
Identify which cables those wires come from at the switch box. You are stating that red wire is connected to nothing, and that one of the black wires is connected to nothing, is this correct.

Also, identify all the cables and all the wires at the ceiling connection for the light.

Understand that you are describing a potentially unsafe wiring condition that you should correct regardless of whether you can add the receptacle.

Were there or are there any other switches that control this light, or are there unused switches in the room? Is there any new wiring (non-original) such as receptacles, switches etc? What else is on this same circuit?

I sure hope that you did NOT touch the white wire to any other wire to see if it was live. Causing a short circuit is dangerous. Intentionally causing one is stupid. Electricity kills.

Old 11-21-06, 06:58 AM
being new to this I guess I didnt explain the wires in the box correctly. both black wires in the box are being used on the 2 black wires from the dimmer switch....sorry I didnt explain it better...I have decided to forget the outlet at this point...I thought (being naive) that it would be easier than this...but I do want to thank everyone for there time.

Old 11-21-06, 07:15 AM
If I were you I would continue investigating this and fix the potential fire hazard you have described. Whether or not you add the receptacle, you should fix the problem.

Old 11-21-06, 10:03 AM
I appreciate your concern and yes I will have it checked since you think I should...thanks again