Puck lights or strips

Old 11-19-06, 06:48 PM
Puck lights or strips

I would like to install under cabinet lighting in a kitchen. At present all the walls are open. I would like to hardwire them to a direct wall switch. Can someone help me with how they should be wired . Are puck lights better than a strip. Any recommendations...
Thanks

Tearflop

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-06, 10:52 PM
when we do undercabinet lighting, we use flourescent strips. They are really really small, I think the lamps are a T5. We frequently put the UC lights on with the kitchen lighting circuit. We run a 14/2 from power to the box where you will have the switch. Next we figure out where the back of the cabinet will be, we run a wire from the switch box and staple it to a stud high enough so it will be behind the cabinet. When the cabinet guys put in the cabinet, they drill a hole in the back and poke the wire through. When the cabinets are up, we come back, we cut a hole in the back of the cabinet for a cut in box. Then drill a hole through the cabinet underneath it and at the back of it, we fish the wire that plugs into the UC light through this hole and up to the hole we made for the cut in. Put the wire that is controlled by the switch and the wire that connects to the UC in the cut in box and put the cut in box into the hole. Connect hot to hot, neutral to neutral, and ground to ground. Put a blank on the cut in, and it's hidden nicely inside the cabinet. If there is more than one cabinet with UC lighting and it is to be controlled from the same switch, you just come out of the switch, go to the first cabinet, then from there to the second, to the third, etc. Hope this makes sense.
I'll see if I can find out exactly what UC lights we use, because they are really small and easily hidden from view. If I can, I'll post it for ya.

we use something like these:
http://www.pegasusassociates.com/MicrofluorescentT4.jsp

they are really small and they link up end to end, so you don't have to run wire between them.
jeff

Old 11-20-06, 10:02 AM
Thank you so much, You have really made that clear....I will look for the lights. But that seems like the way I will go.

Thanks

Tearflop