putting two recepticles on one switch

Old 11-20-06, 11:41 AM
putting two recepticles on one switch

I was given some plug in flourecent shop lights and thought the easiest method of using them would be to install recepticles on the basement ceiling and plug the lights into them. I installed two recepticles pulling power off of the existing ceiling light box. I want to wire these recepticles with a switch on the end. When I wired the hot all the way to the switch and used the neutral through the recepticles coming back, the liights flickered but wouldn't come on. Help.!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-06, 11:48 AM
You wired the receptacles in series, not in parallel.

Describe your setup in detail, including how you wired the receptacles and we can help sort out the problem.

Old 11-20-06, 12:22 PM
You shouldn't be switching a neutral. Just because you are using the white wire doesn't make it a neutral. Describe in detail your wire connections.

Old 11-20-06, 12:42 PM

I think I know what you mean. yeah ran hot right down to the switch using the black wire all the way down. I then used the white coming out of the switch attached it to the hot side of the closest recepticle to the switch. used the white (neutral) coming out of the other side of the recepticle and ran it in to the hot on the first recepticle closest to the source. the white ( neutral) coming out of that attaching it to the neutral running back to the source

How do I wire it in series and still get the switch to control both recepticles?

Old 11-20-06, 12:44 PM
You need three conductor wire (plus ground) between the two receptacles. You then use the RED wire for the switched hot from the second receptacle back to the first.

Alternately wire from the first receptacle to the switch as well as to the second receptacle.