Older Bryant/Westinghouse Main Circuit Panel Info?

Old 11-20-06, 05:17 PM
Older Bryant/Westinghouse Main Circuit Panel Info?

I have an somewhat old Westinghouse main circuit panel in my house. I'm just trying to find out some basic info on it like what type of circuit breakers will work in it like the those mini space saving types (slim-lines?) out there to help open up a slot.

The info inside the door says the following:

Bryant Electric Company
Westinghouse
Cat No. B24-40 BFN, BSN
Type-1 Enclosure Indoor
Max Mains Rating 200A

Each of the current breakers inside statesBryant on each one. I want to try and put in those space saver breakers (slim-line style) in order to make open slots if they make similar to fit this panel. Also to find out how many of these "slim-line's" can be used and how large they go amperage-wise?

Any information on this panel, or even website to look it up myself would be great.

Also ballpark, how much would I expect to spend to have the panel replaced with a newer more spacious model?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-06, 03:21 PM
Am I the only guy with one of these type panels?

No place I can look these puppies up by part/model #?

How about other brand breakers that would fit in place of the "bryant" breakers? That could take me in the right direction. if nothing else.

Old 11-21-06, 03:50 PM
Bryant was bought by Westinghouse which was bought by Cutler Hammer. Cutler Hammer's BR series breakers are a direct descendant of these panels and are listed for use in them.

The 24 in the part number should give you the number of 1" spaces in the panel and the 40 should give you the number of circuits. Typically the first (top) 2 slots on each side will not take double (twin) breakers but the rest will, meaning you could have a total of 16 double breakers in the panel.

A panel is limited by code to 42 circuits. A new one would give you only 2 more circuits , if you get the right one, but would be a bigger box than you probably now have. The only way to gain more circuits would be to add a sub panel.

Old 11-23-06, 10:11 AM
Cutler Hammer huh? That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I counted my spaces in my panel and sure enough it has 24 slots or 1 inch spots not counting the main shuoff breaker. I also counted the number of "switches" large and small, and I have a total of 30. So that should mean if I can find slim-line style, or double pole breakers I could potentially have up to 10 more breakers correct?

Old 11-23-06, 05:38 PM
Correct - except that a 2 pole breaker is not a double or twin breaker.

You should find that the tabs on the buss in the panel have a slot in the middle that will allow installation of the twins - except the top 4 (mistake in first post) which allow only singles (or half of a 2 pole breaker)

Cutler Hammer BR series are pretty common (you are looking for BDs, which are the twins in the series). I keep 20 or so in the truck all the time.