Box accessability question

Old 11-21-06, 06:20 AM
Box accessability question

I know that junction boxes for 120/240v splices must be permanently accessible. What about phone wire splices/12v lighting splices/speaker wires? I'm remodeling my basement and the previous owners had splices in numerous places that will become inaccessible once the drywall is up. Running new wires is impossible in some places and I'll be forced to have wire splices behind drywall. If needed, I can have accessible boxes - but it's gonna make my ceiling look like a gopher went to work, even with half decent cover plates.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-06, 06:28 AM
Running new wires is never impossible. It may be difficult, but never impossible.

Low voltage splices do not need to be in boxes. The splices can simply be inside the walls if you wish.

However, I recommend that you replace the wires. Every splice is a potential failure point and/or a source of signal degradation.

Old 11-21-06, 07:03 AM
I agree with racraft. I know what it's like to be in the middle of a job and not want to take the time for one more piddly task. But in the long run, I've never heard of anyone regretting that they took a few more days to do it the right way. On the other hand this type of work has a very low Wife Acceptance Factor. If that's a problem you'll have to sleep on the couch for a while.

If the existing wire is working OK for you, you don't have to stop using it. But you should make provisions now to do home runs of everything, whether that means new wire that is just left for future use, or putting in some raceway for that new wiring. That would be a lot less painful than opening your handcrafted walls later, or living with a ceiling full of coverplates.

Old 11-21-06, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I agree with your sentiment - so I suppose I should say "not worth the effort, rather than "impossible". (tear out the entire porch ceiling to run a new speaker wire??? - I don't think so)