Attached Garage subpanel

Old 11-21-06, 05:03 PM
Attached Garage subpanel

I am planning to install a subpanel in my garage and have spent a lot of time reading here as well as books. I do however have a few questions.

1. Originally I was planning to install the subpanel in the shared wall (house/garage). It would be so easy! Reading here, it seems this is not a good idea since it is a firewall. Is what I am saying true? If I don't install it in the shared wall, I'm not sure where I can put it! When I purchased the house, there was already a three gang switch and an outlet in the shared wall. I have since added a second outlet. What should be done about those?

2. Assuming I can figure out where to put the subpanel, I was planning to run 2/2/2/4 from the main panel, across my basement ceiling (about 1" from the outside wall in case I ever want to finish the basement). It will be about 60', unless I have to move the panel to a sidewall. I don't need conduit because it will be in the basement and inside walls.

3. I want to install an electric heater (hangs from ceiling and can pivot) that requires a 30 Amp breaker. Originally I was going to just use a 30 Amp plug and outlet with 10-3 SOOW wire, but I read that it needs to be hardwired? If hardwired, does it need conduit? What would you recommend? Right now I'm thinking that I can just run individual 10 AWG THHN from the subpanel through the wall to a convenient location. From there, it will go into a plastic conduit box (sorry I'm not sure what it is called) that has one hole to feed wire from the wall and a second hole to accept conduit along wall. That will go into some flexible conduit and into heater. Will 3/4" conduit be OK?

Thank you very much!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-06, 05:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
*1. Originally I was planning to install the subpanel in the shared wall *

Why do you feel you can't do this? Seal the box and you should be fine.

*2. I was planning to run 2/2/2/4 from the main panel, across my basement ceiling *

Copper or alu? 100A sub service? What type of wire and method?
SE Cable inside?

*3. I want to install an electric heater (hangs from ceiling and can pivot)*

This is fine as well, if the panel is with in sight (circuit breaker).
Run a 10/2 (30A) to the heater.

Old 11-21-06, 05:52 PM
Thank you for your reply!

1. Well, I thought that I read in a couple of posts that it was a bad idea (against code?) to cut holes in the firewall. What do you mean by "seal the box". I was planning on cutting a larger than required hole to be able to feed all the wires. When done, I would put the drywall back. Didn't honestly think about this until now - going to be a PITA to add circuits after I put that drywall back.

2. The 2/2/2/4 is what they sell at HD. The display says SER AL and it says 100A. Not sure what you are asking by "wiring method"... but I'm going from the main panel in the basement to the subpanel in a shared wall, so I was just going to run the cable with no conduit.

3. Sorry, I confused myself by putting so many options in one question. When you say this is OK - which method?

Old 11-21-06, 07:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
1) You may have to refer to your building code.
Electricaly speaking, No reason why you can't.
Seal the screw holes in the back. Steel is better than 5/8 sheetrock.
RE: adding ckts, Run some conduit or flex out to the ceiling and install a box (large enough). There's future expansion.

2) Wireing method, Pipe cable etc.. I see your going with SER, a 4 wire cable thats ok. So long as it will not be subjected ti physical harm.

3) for the heater, you need cable as well. not just individual conductors.

this is general, more specifics as warranted.

Old 11-26-06, 08:00 AM
For the heater, conduit to somewhere near the heater, and a transition to flex, or a JB with flex to the heater.