wiring question for new light/fan

Old 11-22-06, 03:49 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wiring question for new light/fan

I want to install a ceiling fan. Right now- no ceiling fixture in the living room. (all table lamps)
I have an existing switch on the wall that controls the outlet on the wall. (right now-we just have a torch light plugged into that outlet)- I want to have the switch control the new ceiling fan.
Right now there are 2 romex cables going into the switch box.
The 2 black wires go to the bottom screw on the switch and the red wire to the top screw (which I assume goes to control the outlet)- White wires are tied together.
How do I tie in a new wire into the switch to control a light?
Will I need a different type of switch? (I don't care if I lose function of the outlet via switch)

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-06, 03:58 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Without going into specifics, first ask yourself if you want to control the fan and light seperately. If so, you will need two switches, and if you want to control the fan speed from the switch, you will need a fan speed switch.
You might consider a remote control for the fan/light. they usually control the light, including dimmer function, and the normal three fan speeds.

Old 11-22-06, 04:03 PM
S
I will be using a fan with remote so I just need one wire run up to the fan. I will control the fan and light with the remote.

Old 11-22-06, 04:14 PM
R
Regardless ofwhether the fan you will be using has a remote or not, youwant to wire this fan as if there is no remote and you will control the fan and light separately.

You want to run either 14-3 or 12-3 (depending on the current amperage of the circuit) from the switch to the location for thefan and light.

Depending on what you want to do with the existing switched receptacle, you will want to possibly add additional switches.

My recommendation is to make the receptacle unswitched, and leave the single switch in place to control power to the fan and light.