Gfi Question

Old 11-23-06, 10:22 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gfi Question

A year ago I installed a new lamp post out in my yard. When I ran the line from the switch I thought it would only make sense to add a plug along the way since I had the ground dug up, so I added one by my porch and continued running the line to the post. When I installed the plug I put a GFI obviously and ran the load off to the lamp. Now that Christmas is here I thought, I wanted another plug near the switch so I added another one yesterday on the outside directly below where the switch is to turn on and off the lamp and the plugs. When I installed the plug, I installed another GFi. For some reason or another something in the back of my head said that if you are going to have another GFI on the circuit or after that one you are not to install the load wires onto the load on the back of the GFI. I went ahead in the junction box and spiced wires off the hot and neutral to the back of the new gfi and continued off to the next GFI. My question is, was this correct? Are you infact not suppose to connect the load to the back of the load on a GFI if it is going to another GFI?

Old 11-23-06, 10:31 AM
you are correct. However, you could have just used a regular outlet at your new location and left the wiring tapped off of the load side of the GFCI. The upstream GFCI protects all devices connected to its load terminals, including regular outlets. Would have saved you about $10 this way.

Old 11-23-06, 04:06 PM
B
Scott,

Thanks for the reply. However the new plug I added was at the begin of the circuit prior to the original GFI I installed. The new GFI was the line to the original GFI

Old 11-24-06, 08:48 AM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would'nt loose any sleep over it.

If you want, if the LOAD side from new GFCI goes to the post light. You can replace that with a standard rec and "in use" cover. Then you will have a spare GFCI for something else.

Your biggest problem, when the post light doesn't work...Wich one tripped?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: