2 main panels

Old 11-24-06, 01:44 AM
2 main panels

Hello,

I'm getting ready to have an electrician do a service upgrade from 100 to 200 amp. While speaking to him he said that I will end up having a 200 amp cutoff breaker immediatly after the meter that will feed my current 100 amp box in my detached garage and a new 200 amp box in the basement of the house.
The service wire enters at the garage then goes through the breezeway down through the wall to the basement to the box in the house. I am a little confused about what these boxes are classified as. If both the garage and house boxes are wired directly from the cutoff breaker box are they both mains? Currently the box in the garage has no main breaker installed in it. From reading different posts here on this forum something just doesnt sound right about the way the electrician wants to do it. Am I right to assume that I should have a new 200 amp box in the garage also but with a 100 amp breaker installed in it if wanted? Are the boxes mains or subs?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-06, 03:40 AM
Group Moderator
The first panel in the garage will be the main. The old one and new 200 amp will be sub panels.

Old 11-24-06, 08:50 AM
The 200 amp cutoff at the meter will be your main. The other two boxes are sub panels and should be wired with the ground and neutral separated (unbonded).

Old 11-24-06, 10:56 PM
Thanks for your replies. I am going to have to make sure the electrician knows what hes doing. He already got the house panel set up as a main with the bonding connection installed. I also think that he will have to install 200amp 4 wire to the box in the garage also which is 100amp with small lugs inside. I will probably buy a 200amp sub for the garage. Can both sub panels have their own main breaker also?

Old 11-24-06, 11:56 PM
yes - the subpanels can have their own main breaker switches.