Dishwasher on disposal circuit?


  #1  
Old 11-25-06, 08:22 AM
H
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher on disposal circuit?

Iím doing a new installation of a dishwasher into my older kitchen. I know it needs to be on a dedicated circuit, but upon inspection of my circuit breaker, the only spot available would be the dedicated 20 amp circuit for the disposal. Could I put it on this circuit with the specific intention of never using them both at the same time or should I remove the disposal since I rarely use it anyway?
 
  #2  
Old 11-25-06, 08:48 AM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA.
Posts: 2,112
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Welcome.

Yes you can do this, Not the most practical but not wrong either.
Another option is going out and buying a "twin" brkr. This will give you the added ckt.
Make sure that the ckts are both 20A, you don't want to mix 15&20A, unless the breaker is rated/labled that way.
 
  #3  
Old 11-25-06, 09:11 AM
H
Member
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: usa
Posts: 274
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillWench
Iím doing a new installation of a dishwasher into my older kitchen. I know it needs to be on a dedicated circuit, but upon inspection of my circuit breaker, the only spot available would be the dedicated 20 amp circuit for the disposal. Could I put it on this circuit with the specific intention of never using them both at the same time or should I remove the disposal since I rarely use it anyway?

It's pretty common in new construction to place the dishwasher and disposal on the same 20A circuit.
What is the amperage rating of the new dishwasher and disposal? It will be on a tag inside the dishwasher door and on the bottom of the disposal.
 
  #4  
Old 11-25-06, 09:37 AM
H
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hillbilly ace
It's pretty common in new construction to place the dishwasher and disposal on the same 20A circuit.
What is the amperage rating of the new dishwasher and disposal? It will be on a tag inside the dishwasher door and on the bottom of the disposal.

Its not quite new construction, the disposal was here when I moved in and I did not have a dishwasher before, someone I know bought a new one and gave me their old one. Anyway the disposal is rated at 6.1 amps and the dishwasher is 11.0 amps.

How do I get around the switch for the disposal so the dishwasher stays hot? I was hoping to branch off the receptacle that is right there where I need it and hard wire into the dishwasher.

Thanks for your help
 
  #5  
Old 11-25-06, 09:49 AM
ElectricalMan's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Harrisonburg
Posts: 744
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillWench

How do I get around the switch for the disposal so the dishwasher stays hot? I was hoping to branch off the receptacle that is right there where I need it and hard wire into the dishwasher.

Thanks for your help
Going to be harder to do if the power hits the switch first which it sounds like it does, You would need to get another wire into that switch box and down to a new receptacle located under the sink area......chances are the switched receptacle on the disposal is the only wire in that box.
 
  #6  
Old 11-25-06, 09:51 AM
W
Member
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 39
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
first, you should have a dedicated circuit for each..in my area you feed the GD/DW with a 2P/20A breaker if they're on the same device(recepticle)..

you need to figure out which box(switch or recepticle) is your home run box..the home run is the cable from the panel to the first box..if it goes to the recepticle first then you have it easy...you can turn the recepticle into a 1/2 hot.. with the power off you can break the isolation tab off of only the hot side of the recepticle and pigtail your unswitched power(hot from home run) to a brass screw and leaving the switchleg on the other brass screw..then one recepticle will be constant and the other will be switched..

if the switch box has the home run then you need to pull out the 12/2 and pull in 12/3 behind it..then you can get both the switched/unswitched power below to the recepticle..then as before break off the isolation tab only on the hot side and land your wires..

if you're not sure call a pro..

on edit: do not hardwire the dishwasher or disposal..the cord caps are a means of service disconnect...
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: