Using Air Conditioner receptacle for TV?

Old 11-26-06, 05:44 AM
Using Air Conditioner receptacle for TV?

I have just bought a new TV, which comes with a standard 3-prong plug. The only problem is, in my living room all receptacles are 2 prong, with the exception of a 3-prong receptacle intended for an air conditioner, which has the 2 flat slits horizontal rather than vertical (it is shaped like -.-). My question is 3-fold.

1. Can I use this receptacle for my TV? I read somewhere that this type of receptacle is for 240V rather than 120V, so I am afraid that plugging my TV into it will ruin it.

2. If I can use it, where would I find an adapter for it? I could not find one in the Home Depot or Radio Shack.

3. If I cannot use it, should I use my 2 prong outlets with an adapter?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-06, 06:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome.

1) no, this rec is 220V 20Amp. Bye-Bye Tv.

2)If you no longer use or need the AC rec, It can be changed to fit the need.

3) This answer can get involved (technicaly).

I don't care for adapters, Simple answer: Change 1 of the 2-prongs to a GFCI rec. now you have 3 and a level of safety.
You still however may NOT have a ground.
If you open this rec, Post back with what you find, There may be another option.

Old 11-26-06, 06:12 AM
If the existing 120 volt receptacles do not have a ground, then I suggest you either ground one or add a new circuit for the TV.

Old 11-26-06, 06:38 AM
Thank you for your replies. I have never done electrical work before, so I think doing any electrical modifications unsupervised would not be a good idea. Besides I live in an apartment, so the landlord my not take kindly to me doing this sort of work if they find the alterations I think the best solution for me will have to be to run an extension cord from my bedroom - it will look ugly, but at least I will have a ground.

Oh, and thanks for saving my new TV

Old 11-26-06, 06:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We don't recomend that aswell.

Contact the landlord, Get permision (or have them) to hire an electrician. It may not be as a big deal as you fear.

The cord is a liability, consider other tenants, even if they don't.

Old 11-26-06, 06:58 AM
The odds are good that the AC rec is on it's own circuit. Having an electrician change out the recepticle and breaker would be very easy.

I bet the land lord would go for it.