3 way warm to the touch

Old 11-26-06, 06:20 PM
3 way warm to the touch

I have a 3 way dimmer (knob type) on one wall and a 3 way switch on/off switch on the other in the living room, they run 7 - (75 watt bulb) can lights , the dimmer switch is rated for 600 watts but it gets really really warm almost hot to the touch when I take off the cover plate and feel it.The instructions said warm to the touch is normal, but I'm thinking this may be too warm I have left it on and keep checking it, when their dimmed down alittle it doesn't get as warm, is really warm normal or not? I have another one in the bedroom 3way and it does get just warm to the touch with the cover plate off , it runs 4 75 watt can lights. But the one in the Living room has 525 watts what do you think?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-06, 06:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
7x75=!? 525---Your close, It will be warm.
did you break any tabs off?
Don't, These will releive the heat. realy warm, not unusual to fingers. Hot, (depending on fingers) thats not good. Buy a 1000W dimmer.

What else is in this sw. box? If it is alone it shouldn't be that hot.

Old 11-26-06, 07:52 PM
very warm to touch

It's alone , on a 20 amp 12-3 wire. I looked and couln't find a 20 amp dimmer, I'm not sure that is how they rate them, but I also coul not find a 1000 watt dial dimmer, and the 1000 watt switch dimmer I hooked up taday would not work for some reason with the other 3 way switch. so i put the three way 600 watt dial dimmer back in.

Old 11-26-06, 07:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Dimmers are rated by WATTAGE, You need a 3-way dimmer, 1000Watt. when you find it (big box store) and install it, Make sure the power is OFF!!!!! before you wire it in. These electronics hate the shock (so don't you).