splicing a ceiling light into a switched outlet run

Old 11-27-06, 09:31 AM
splicing a ceiling light into a switched outlet run

I wanted to add a ceiling light to a bedroom with an existing switched outlet. There was a 3 conductor run from the switch to the outlet through the attic. One of the plugs in the outlet was switched and the other was always hot. The goal was to switch the light and leave the outlet always hot. There was not enough slack in the wire run through the attic to splice in the light, so I had to add two boxes. I installed it in the same way you'd fix a damaged wire, but with an extra branch from one of the boxes. Here is how it's installed:

1) 3 conductor wire from the switch, up the wall into the attic to a sealed junction box. Red is switched and black is hot. Red, common, and ground are run to the ceiling light box.

2) A short 6' run using black, common, and ground to a second sealed junction box connected to the wall outlet. Since the wall outlet had a 3-conductor run originally, both the black and red are spliced to hot from the first box.

All connections were made with appropriate wire nuts, then taped. I secured the wire to the box with spring clips and grounded them. The boxes themselves are regular octagonal ceiling boxes nailed to the joists. Is this an acceptable way to splice in the light or do I need to pull it out and run new wires for the light and the outlet from the switch?

Thanks, Sean

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-06, 10:07 AM
That is a perfectly acceptable way to do it. It might be a bit confusing if some one opens the receptacle and finds the red wire at a later date. However it is acceptable.

Old 11-28-06, 04:13 AM
Originally Posted by joed
That is a perfectly acceptable way to do it. It might be a bit confusing if some one opens the receptacle and finds the red wire at a later date. However it is acceptable.
Thanks Joe