Ground Wire…

Old 11-28-06, 08:01 AM
Ground Wire…

I have a smoke detector in my basement that recently when I had some electrical work done they took it out of the plastic outlet box it was in and rewired it into a metal drop ceiling box. When they wired it into the metal box they of course attached the ground wire to the box with the supplied screw.
Since the original plastic box hangs at the same level as the new box, which there was no need for it and I can use it elsewhere, I decided to put it back in the outlet box it was in. My question is where would the ground wire have gone since this box is plastic? Where was it before they moved it to the metal?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-06, 08:03 AM
A plastic box does not get grounded. The device does, if it has a ground wire. If the device has no ground wire then the ground wire is tucked into the back of the box.

Old 11-28-06, 08:21 AM
Oh right I forgot to mention that, no the device did not have a ground. Only a yellow, white, and black. It was wired black on black, white on white, yellow on red.

Old 11-28-06, 08:23 AM
This makes sense. A smoke detector is usually a plastic case, therefor it requires no ground. Tuck the wire into the back of the plastic box.