ground rods

Old 11-30-06, 05:27 AM
ground rods

I have a question about two locations . The first one is ; the power company ran their electric lines over head from the road to a pole in my yard, then down the pole to my meter box that I have placed close to thier pole at that point I placed a ground rod hooked to that meter box/breaker box, then from there, underground I ran large (about the size of my thumb) I think it was 4 ought- 4 ought - 2 ought, to the 200 amp breaker box in my (attached to the house) garage should I need another ground rod at this point? It's about 195 feet from the meter box.

And the second place is do I need a ground rod at my telephone box attached outside my home? I don't have one there now but I noticed they are putting them there sometimes.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-06, 05:31 AM
Yes you need a ground rod or two at the house. The phone ground should be connected in the house gournd. It should not have a separate ground.

Old 11-30-06, 05:56 AM
ground rods

Originally Posted by joed View Post
Yes you need a ground rod or two at the house. The phone ground should be connected in the house gournd. It should not have a separate ground.

Well I had one electrician tell me not to add a seperate ground rod at the house , that I would need to run a heavy ground cable from the meter box in the yard to the breaker box in the garage, I did not understand his explination, but your saying I can add a seperate rod ( or even two) at the garage so that it would be grounded at two different locations?

Old 11-30-06, 07:43 AM
nap
is there a disconnect at the meter or is the first disconnect at the garage?

Old 11-30-06, 06:35 PM
If you have a disconnect on the pole with the meter and have a 3 wire feed to the panel on the garage, which is what I think I read here, you need a ground rod or two at the house. You would also need one (or 2) if you ran a 4 wire feed. Additionally, the panel on the garage needs to be bonded to the water pipe supplying the house, assuming it is metal.

When a meter is pole mounted the panels connected to it mounted in/on a building are treated like any separate structure would be and require a grounding electrode. There would be absolutely no benefit to running an extra ground wire from the panel to the meter whether or not it has a disconnect.

If you did elect to run a ground it would need to be #4 copper or #2 aluminum. Dunno if this qualifies as a "heavy ground cable" or not but is what the code would require if you installed a ground from the meter to the panel - not often done in this type installation.

Old 12-02-06, 04:48 AM
ground rod

thank you for all the info, the water line coming into the house is plastic. And the meter box does have a main shut off, so I will be installing a ground rod outside the garage, it's about a year after the new installation and no problems yet but I will ground this soon. As for the phone line I hope it will be ok to just install a ground rod outside right below the box that attaches to the house, I think thats where i'll do that one seperate from the electric service. thanks again.

Old 12-02-06, 08:23 AM
NO do not install a separate ground rod at the phone. ALL grounds need to be tied to the same grounding system. That includes the electrical, the phone, the cable TV, the satellite.