Converting Battery powered device to AC adapter

Old 12-02-06, 10:26 AM
Converting Battery powered device to AC adapter

I've got a device that runs off 4 D-cell batteries and would like to solder in an AC adapter so I'm not buying batteries every few days. I understand that the voltage on the AC adapter will need to be 6 volts but what about the wattage? What does a D cell battery run at? What do 4 together run at?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-06, 10:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You will have to get that information from the unit you are trying to power up. It will give you the milliwatt rating, and from that you can match up an adapter. Batteries will run any item needing that voltage, but will run it longer with a smaller milliwatt rating, and for a shorter time the higher the rating goes.

Old 12-02-06, 10:37 AM
nap
it's not what the batteries "run at". it is what the device uses. The batteries simply are a resevoir for the motor to take from.

You will need to find out what voltage the motor uses and current the motor draws. You will need a transformer/inverter to convert AC power to DC. Having too much power available is no concern, having too little is where you have problems. Be sure that you have the correct voltage from the inverter as well.