Testing system prior to drywall

Old 12-04-06, 06:02 AM
Testing system prior to drywall

Friends, I finshed rugh in electrical for my new constr. detached garage and insulation and drywall is scheduled for next week. I had intended on installing all my switches and outlets prior to drywall so that I could test the system and make any corrections needed before it is covered. My drywall guy says he uses a rotozip to cut out the junction box opening after the drywall is installed and installing the outlets and switches will cause him problems. Do you pros test your systems prior to cover? If so how? and are there any other items I should be doing prior to cover. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-06, 06:10 AM
Without receptacles, switches and/or fixtures installed there is nothing to test.

Old 12-04-06, 06:53 AM
If you used the correct techniques when running your wire and followed code requirements, there is no need to test anything. Just do a thourough visual inspection of your wiring, make sure that the individual circuits are run correctly and that there is no damage to the cables (nails, staples etc).

Old 12-04-06, 07:29 AM
You drywaller is correct. However your rough inspection for electrical will occur prior to drywall. No test is required. I suppose you could do what you want then remove all the switches and outlets etc. Seems like a lot of work though. You should have detailed electrical drawings of what you have and these should suffice in telling you if things are going to work. Just inspect your wiring for nail penetrations and the like and general damage.
You do not want those switches and outlets installed at drywall time. Pretty much all drywallers use cutout tools like the rotozip for all electrical boxes. What you want to do is tuck and fold all the wires back into the boxes so they are not outside the box where they are in danger of being cut when the drywaller runs around the box with the rotozip. One problem I have seen is that sometimes they miss outlet boxes when they fall in the center of a sheet, kinda hard to do but I've seen it happen. Just a heads up. Also use nail plates to protect the wiring if it is within the reach of a drywall screw or nail. One peeve I have with drywallers is they have a tendency to throw in a longer than normal screw at times and usually it is my luck they hit a cable. Nail plates can prevent this in areas of question. Of course you can put them everywhere. Generally if the cables are through bored holes through the center of the studs you will be fine. Try to keep the cables 1 1/4" or more from the face of framing members and the correct nail or drywall screw for securing the sheets will not reach the cables.

Roger

Old 12-04-06, 07:53 AM
you could do it, but as previously stated a visual inspection of the wiring/connections should suffice.

But then you'd have to remove them prior to the drywall installation of course (which is where the 'problems' for the installer come in).