Order of assembly

Old 12-04-06, 07:54 AM
Order of assembly

Is there a preference or code as to which is installed first, insulation or wiring?I would think wiring first would be easiest. You could just slit the insulation to fit around/over the wires.

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-06, 07:57 AM
The choice is yours, but usually the cables are run first. It's hard to work around the vapor barrier of the insulation.

Old 12-04-06, 08:45 AM
Additionally, since I just know your work has been permitted.... the inspector will want to see the wiring prior to the insulation work.

Old 12-04-06, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by thezster View Post
Additionally, since I just know your work has been permitted.... the inspector will want to see the wiring prior to the insulation work.
In fact I did pull a permit. It's a whole house remodel in a small town, hard to hide it. Best $15 I ever spent. I think I know just enough to be dangerous, but I also know enough to get my work inspected.

Old 12-04-06, 11:00 AM
The local inspector here told me that this is the best order of rough inspections:

1. Plumbing & heating: Because waste pipes have to be installed so gravity does its job, and framing must sometimes be redone to accommodate pipes and ducts
2. Electrical: Because it must be threaded around the plumbing
3. Framing: So that all changes necessary for plumbing and electrical are inspected

Not that it always works out that way.

Old 12-04-06, 11:44 AM
That's interesting - and says a lot about different locales.... I've permitted numerous jobs in the past - and without exception it begins with framing, followed by either rough electrical or plumbing (though the three can be simultaneous) - followed by insulation/fire blocking - followed by drywall (they've counted the screws/nails and measured the spacing) - followed by final electrical/plumbing.

Glad to hear you're permitted.... and, you're right - it's the best $15 you'll spend on the project - if for nothing but peace of mind. Good for you!

Old 12-04-06, 03:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thezster, Yep, thats the norm here aswell. Just don't think about running wires untill, the shingles,windows,doors and sheathing are in place (some areas siding). Then you get the "hurry up".