busted outlet or circuit?

Old 12-04-06, 01:23 PM
busted outlet or circuit?

Last winter, I was able to plug in my heater to an outlet by my bed and adequately heat my room to 78 degrees F.

This winter, I was using the same heater plugged into the same outlet by my bed, but I was unable to adequately heat my room. So, I assumed that my heater was broken. It did turn on but the heat was less intense and I was only able to heat my room to 72 degrees F.

So, I went ahead and got the exact same model/brand heater and plugged my new heater into the socket by my bed. But the same thing happened - less intense heat and my room would only heat up to 72 degree F. So, it appears that my old heater was never broken.

The next day, I plugged my new heater into a socket on the far side of my room and this time I was able to heat up my room back to 78 degree F.

So, what's going on?

Is my outlet by my bed broken and just simply needs to be replaced?

Did I break my circuit/voltage maintainer/whatever that goes to that outlet?

p.s. my heater consumes 1500 watts of power

Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-06, 01:39 PM
78 degrees? Are you serious? My bedroom is about 65 at night. I'd hate to pay your bills.

You likely have a loose connection that needs to be found and fixed. I suggest that you start looking for it, as it is a fire waiting to happen, especially with an energy hog heater that requires 1500 watts.

Old 12-04-06, 01:45 PM
Group Moderator
A six degree temperature difference is an insignificant amount. You don't have a problem with the heater or the receptacle but the receptacle may be bad, even dangerous, because of the continuous use of the heater. The difference could have many explanations including the height of thermometer off the floor and and using a different thermometer. Also external conditions such as ambient outdoor temperature, wind, wind direction, position of sun... well the list goes on and on.

Your only real problem is trying to heat the room with a portable electric heater. They are not intended for that purpose. They are for occasional use as supplemental heat. You need to look into a heat source intended for continuous use.

Frankly living on the Gulf coast with relatively mild winters I'm amazed you can even heat a room larger then a walk in closet with a 1500 watt heater. You must have a really well insulated tightly sealed room.

Last edited by ray2047; 12-04-06 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-05-06, 01:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Check cond. of receptacle: any melting/blackening - can it.

Also, re-wire it to side screws if it is not already. Regardless of what anyone else here thinks, the extra contact of a wire looped around a screw terminal(vs. a quick-connect or "back-stab") could make the difference between a cozy room and the Hindenburg.