Adding an extra outlet for a wall mounted TV

Old 12-01-06, 10:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding an extra outlet for a wall mounted TV

I just bought a LCD television that I want to mount on the wall. I need to run an electrical outlet roughly six feet off the ground to the new TV location. I already ran the coax (no problem) now I'm a bit confused on how I should run the power. Where the TV will be mounted is between two existing outlets. This is what I plan on doing. 1. turn off breaker. 2. cut into drywall 32 inches off the ground to find romex going between outlets. 3. cut romex and install J-box. 4. run romex up wall to new location and complete splice in J-box. 5. tie in outlet. Is this the correct way to grab power?

Thanks in advance,
Flanders

Old 12-02-06, 04:08 AM
R
Maybe, maybe not.

The power cable may not be running directly between those receptacles. You can only tap the circuit if it is a grounded circuit and if the circuit is allowed to be extended. There will not be slack in the cable, so you would have to replace the cable back to both receptacles.

A better solution would be to either find a circuit you can extend and extend it directly from an existing junction box, or to add a new circuit all the way back to the circuit breaker panel.

If you provide details (all the details) we can help make better suggestions.

Old 12-02-06, 09:18 PM
On second thought, I decided to leave the power where it is and fish the TV power cable up the wall. I may need to splice and extend the TV power cable. Is there any harm if the splice point is inside the wall, even if it is wire nutted and wrapped in electrical tape? FYI there is no insulation in this particular wall.

Thanks,

Flanders

Old 12-03-06, 04:49 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do not do this.... it's an accident waiting to happen. All electrical splices must be permenantly accessible (behind that wall does not qualify).

If you can run the power cable through the wall - it's no more difficult to run new romex to a new box behind the television. You can purchase a "remodel" type box that uses "ears" to snug it up to the drywall - run your new romex from that new box to one of the existing boxes - tie in "inside the box" - and you should be good to go.

Old 12-03-06, 05:46 AM
R
Do not run a power cable from an appliance within the wall. It is NOT designed for this.

Old 12-04-06, 05:18 PM
OK, plan 3. Can I run romex to a remodel box behind the TV down the wall to another remodel box and terminate it there with outlets in both boxes and then get a male to male extension cord and run it behind the dresser to the new outlet? I know it sounds confusing but I don't want to drill through three studs to get power from the existing outlet. It would look like this.

[o] -new outlet
l
l
l -romex
l
[o]---------------------[o] -existing outlet
l
new outlet

---=male to male extension cord

My wife doesn't want me making any more holes in the house, plus I won't have to mess with the electrical (I know just enough to be dangerous) If this is not possible I'll hire an electrician.

Thank you for your prompt replies and your patients with this newbie,

Flanders

Last edited by Flanders; 12-04-06 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-04-06, 05:54 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Question

No.. To the extension cord...

Do you have baseboards?
If so, remove it, notch the drywall and drill the studs. Snake a new cable from the tv location to the floor,from there to the existing outlet. Replace baseboard, install the old work (remodel)box install and ground the new rec. terminate in the old one and your done.

Providing the ckt can be extended as stated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: