outlets

Old 12-05-06, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool outlets

I recently purchased a home and it has only 1 plugin in each room,I have been told to upgrade the power box,but amm wondering how many plugs can be used on a 20amp breaker? The house is from 1923.
thanx
Dan
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-06, 07:47 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Wiring

Get an estimate from an electrician for new service panel and new wiring throughout the house. Make sure the electrician does a load calculation to determine the minimum size panel needed.

Old 12-05-06, 07:58 AM
If you plan on adding more recepticles to each room you'd be best off bringing the entire house up to current code.

To answer the # of recepticles on a 20A breaker question, you can have 20 or 1, it all depends on what load the circuit serves.

Old 12-05-06, 08:02 AM
I'll answer your question first, then expand on your situation.

In the US there is no limit to the number of receptacles you can place on a circuit. There are practical limits which you should pay attention to. There are also rules which must be followed about what rooms and/or locations can and cannot be combined on the same circuit. You must also take into consideration what will likely be used on each circuit.

Adding new circuits has nothing to do with replacing the circuit breaker panel or fuse box with a new one.

If you have fuses and a fuse box, you do need to replace these with a circuit breaker panel first. Typically an older house with fuses will have a 60 amp service. This should be upgraded to at least 100 amps, perhaps higher, depending on the size of the house and the needs (electric verses gas for heat, hot water and cooking).

Once you have a new circuit breaker panel (and I recommend a 40 position panel no matter what size service you have), then you can add new circuits.

For new circuits, you will have to decide if you want to leave the existing circuits in place, or completely replace them. If they are old knob and tube, then I recommend that you replace them entirely.

I suggest that you plan your installation well, and go one room at a time. You will have to learn all the applicable codes and follow them.