basement wiring question

Old 12-05-06, 09:19 AM
basement wiring question

I want to install a new circuit with 4 recessed halogen potlights, an outlet, and a dimmer switch for the lights.

The plan was to run from the panel to each light in series, but between light 3 and 4 I need a ceiling outlet for my projection television, then on to light 4 and finally the switch. The problem occurs at the point where I need to install the outlet. Obviously the outlet must be hot at all times.

How can I make this scenario work?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-06, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by willise View Post
I want to install a new circuit with 4 recessed halogen potlights, an outlet, and a dimmer switch for the lights.
The plan was to run from the panel to each light in series, but between light 3 and 4 I need a ceiling outlet for my projection television, then on to light 4 and finally the switch. The problem occurs at the point where I need to install the outlet. Obviously the outlet must be hot at all times.
How can I make this scenario work?

Thanks!
You need to run the ckt to the outlet first. It will be hot always. From the outlet to the dimmer and then to the lts.

Old 12-05-06, 10:34 AM
The same way you will make it work without the receptacle. Use three conductor cable (plus ground) for every connection starting with light 1 and ending with light 4.

Old 12-05-06, 11:15 AM
I was thinking 14/3 or 12/3 was the way to go. So basically, I run the 3 wire from the panel, and use the red wire as a traveller all the way to the light 4. Then I can continue the black and white to the switch, but use the red and another length of white to go to the outlet.

Sound correct?

Old 12-05-06, 11:34 AM
Red is normally used as the switched hot. I would do it like this.

Run the black through all the lights no connection to the lights.
At the receptacle connect the black also to the receptacle and pass the red through with no connection.
Run the white through all lights and receptacles connecting to the lights and receptacles.
Run the red through all the lights connecting to the black from the fixture.

At the last fixture connect the black to the white to the switch. Connect the red to the black form the switch.
At the switch connect the white and black to the switch. Color the white black with tape or a marker.

Last edited by joed; 12-05-06 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-05-06, 11:42 AM
You should be able to run 14/2wg or 12/2wg from panel to first outlet box, right? No reason for the red on that run. Then 14/3wg or 12/3wg between the lights & 14/2wg or 12/2wg to the switch as the others have mentioned.

Old 12-05-06, 03:44 PM
Joed,

So the red and white hook up the first three lights, and the black passes through. Then we come to the receptacle. This is where the black and white hook up tto the receptacle and the black passes through.

Now what do I connect to the last fixture? The way I read it is the white and red go to the last fixture while the black passes through. Then I use a 14/2 to go from the last fixture to the switch.

Correct?

Old 12-05-06, 05:25 PM
All the lights are the same except the last one where the switch hooks in.