Slow Electrician

Old 12-05-06, 12:15 PM
Slow Electrician

My cousin is an electrician. I used to work for him part time when he needed help. Now I have a career and kids and busy life. This summer I built a garage. Before I started I called him and told him I would be done at the end of July so he was aware that I needed him to hook up the electricity. Now it is December and still no lights in the garage. I have talked to him several times and all he ever says is, "I should be there this week or next." Well..... four months later I am getting a little upset. I started to look for other electricians but all of them are too busy to do this before the ground is frozen (I need a trench dug to bury the line from the house). I know that I am perfectly capable of doing this myself but I am not certified to do it. It would only take me a full day and it would be done. I have no doubt in my abilities as an electrician. But is this not a good move? Do I have to worry about the state inspector coming to check it out and then blaming my cousin if it is not done right? Or me? What should I do. If I don't do it this weekend I am afraid the ground will be frozen and nothing will get done until next spring. What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-06, 12:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
> I know that I am perfectly capable of doing this myself but I am not certified
> to do it. It would only take me a full day and it would be done. I have no
> doubt in my abilities as an electrician. But is this not a good move?

In most states, it is legal for a homeowner to do electrical work on his own residential property.

> Do I have to worry about the state inspector coming to check it out and
> then blaming my cousin if it is not done right? Or me?

If the inspector finds any problems, he will flag them to be fixed. As long as the problem (if any) is fixed, and the garage passes re-inspection there is no harm done.

> What should I do?

Go for it.

Old 12-05-06, 02:12 PM
Apply for any permits required and get out your shovel. Then hand it to your kid an put them to work.

Old 12-05-06, 03:20 PM
Many localities allow the live in owner to do their own electrical work, but you still need all the required permits. Some require a minimal test, some don't. But if you have worked in electrical stuff, bone up on the code and go for it. Inspectors are not monsters looking to eat you alive, they can be quite helpful, if you let them.

Old 12-06-06, 10:40 AM
most likely

If you go overboad, it wont be a problem. I would consider digging an 18" deep trench between the two buildings. I would then put some 1 1/4" schedule 40 PVC with bends on each end and caps on the tops, terminating at each building. You would then be guarnteed that you could run up to 100amp service out to the building once the ground freezes.

Old 12-07-06, 02:14 PM
Thank you

Thanks to everyone. I just went a ahead and did it. Threw down some 1 1/2" conduit with 2,2,2,4 wire and plugged it into the 200 amp panel in my basement with a 100 amp breaker. Panel in garage is hardwired. Had my brother-in-law help so he learned some things too. Only took us about 5 hours after the trench was dug.