Circuits in a 100 AMP Panel

Old 12-05-06, 03:35 PM
Circuits in a 100 AMP Panel

Does anyone know what the maximum number of circuits in a 100 amp residential service panel is? I'm talking the main panel, not any subs. Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-06, 03:40 PM
nap
do you mean how many circuit panel can you buy?

The biggest I can think of offhand is 24 although there may be some larger. Code limits a panel to 42 circuits but that is dependent upon the panels ability to have that many breakers installed. You can only install as many circuits as the panel is rated for.

Old 12-05-06, 03:46 PM
Square D makes a 32 circuit type QO 100 amp panel with main breaker. I currently have a cutler hammer with space for only 16 breakers. I dont need a 200 amp service, but would like to have more dedicated circuits in the house. 2/3 of my homes lighting is on one circuit and thats also the bathroom circuit. I dont have to tell you what happens when the wife drys her hair.

Old 12-05-06, 05:28 PM
nap
I had forgotten about that one (and believe it or not, I do electrical for a living although recent surgery has sidetracked my mind a bit).

You can install a sub panel directly next to the main if there is room. If you have a main panel with feed through lugs, you can even use a main lug only as a second (not truly a sub) panel next to it. The main on the primary panel would control the power to both panels.

depending upon the rating of your panel, you may be able to use "mini" or "piggy back" breakers to increase your circuit count so you would not have to replace the entire panel.

I presume the house was built before dedicated circuits were required for the bathrooms. Hopefully the are GFCI protected regardless.