Quick wiring question

Old 12-05-06, 03:58 PM
Quick wiring question

Hi, I am replacing a garage door opener. The old one had a larger white wire with 4 (yellow, red, white, and green) smaller wires in it running to the old control panel by the door. the new wire that it says to use is 24 volt wire, and only has two smaller wires in it (white and red). Can I just use two of the older small wires to run to the opener button? I can't tell if it is 24 volt wire, looks about the same as the new stuff, the only writing I can see is on the back of the old opener, which lists it as NEC 2.
Does this question make any sense? I would rather not have to rerun wire to do the same thing as the old wire. Is all wire used for garage door opener buttons 24 volt? the old one was a 15 year old sears opener if that helps any.
thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-06, 04:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The wire for 24 volt apparatus is just a smaller wire. The reason you have a 4 wire cable from your old unit, is there was probably an auxiliary application such as another light, etc, but has been abandoned by the new stuff, or someone used thermostat wire and only used the two he needed and just didn't use the others. Use the wire. Be sure to use the same two (ie. red-yellow) on both ends.

Old 12-05-06, 04:52 PM
ok thanks. I just want to make sure that if I used the old wire, it won't be to small or too limited or anything which would cause a fire or what not. I assumed, that since it was for a similar purpose, it would be sufficient to handle the load. I just didn't want it to melt or start a fire.
I think you are right, the old one had 2 different light switches, for which i think it had two different wires.
but the old wire won't melt in the middle of the night or something because it is now carrying more power or anything right?
I hooked it up and it seems to work fine

Old 12-06-06, 04:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You are only sending a signal, not line voltage, so it should be just fine. All the line voltage goes directly to the motor which you have plugged into the ceiling.

Old 12-06-06, 11:59 AM
thats what I figured, but it never hurts to ask

thanks for all your help ;-D