Christmas Lights Trip Breaker

Old 12-06-06, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Christmas Lights Trip Breaker

Hello,
We just had Christmas lights installed on the outside of our house. I plug one section into an outlet on my front porch and the other section into an outlet in the garage. If I turn on certain lights inside my house while the Christmas lights are on, one of the 15 amp breakers trips. Forgive my terminology if I get the lingo wrong. I have 200 amp service and a square d breaker box. It has 30 slots for breakers and they are all filled. The 15 amp breaker that trips is one of two 15 amp breakers in one slot. Other than running extension cords around my house, what can I do? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-06, 07:12 PM
Rewire the circuit so that the outdoor receptacles are on a separate circuit.

Old 12-06-06, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
Rewire the circuit so that the outdoor receptacles are on a separate circuit.
Is there another thread that describes how to rewire a circuit?

Old 12-06-06, 07:21 PM
I suggest that you hire an electrician. You will not learn how to rewire a circuit by reading a thread. You may be able to learn by reading in one or more books on home wiring, but I don't think you will be able to do this in time for Christmas.

The basic process is that you need to run a cable from a new circuit breaker installed in the circuit breaker panel to the outdoor receptacle. You then connect it to the receptacle in place of the wires that are presently connected to it.

Old 12-06-06, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
I suggest that you hire an electrician. You will not learn how to rewire a circuit by reading a thread. You may be able to learn by reading in one or more books on home wiring, but I don't think you will be able to do this in time for Christmas.

The basic process is that you need to run a cable from a new circuit breaker installed in the circuit breaker panel to the outdoor receptacle. You then connect it to the receptacle in place of the wires that are presently connected to it.
Ok. I will call an electrician. How will he/she add a new circuit breaker if all the spaces are already filled?

Old 12-06-06, 07:31 PM
If the panel can support them and you do not already have the maximum number, tandem breakers can be added.

When talking with the electrician, I recommend that you have him or her make the outdoor receptacles 20 amp circuits rather than 15 amp ones.

Old 12-06-06, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the advice.