short caused dead outlets - no breaker tripped

Old 12-06-06, 05:37 PM
short caused dead outlets - no breaker tripped

This is the strangest home electrical problem I've ever seen. I was working on replacing the outdoor outlet that was in the siding of our home. It was not up-to-standards, so I was going to replace it with a GFI and proper housing. Unfortunately, I shorted the wires in doing the repairs. When I went to the breaker box, NONE were tripped. However, both the new outlet I installed and the one just on the inside of the house adjacent to the new outlet are dead. What could have happened ?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-06, 05:44 PM
You tripped an already existing GFCI. Look in garage, in bathroom, basement, any other wet location. Usually in garage behind pile of stuff never moved

Old 12-06-06, 06:01 PM
What Joed said.

Old 12-06-06, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
marksimms wrote: "However, both the new outlet I installed and the one just on the inside of the house adjacent to the new outlet are dead."

Hidden GFCI sounds right but if not can you determine the outlet that feeds that one? If necessary check all outlets on circuit starting with the closest one. You may have burnt a wire upstream. The feeding outlet could be live but the wire going to the next one (first dead one) may be toast.

Old 12-06-06, 06:14 PM
Instead of a tripped GFCI, you may have caused a loose connection to fail.

Check any other GFCIs on the circuit first, but also check every junction box on the circuit for a failed connection.

Old 12-07-06, 10:23 AM
Thanks guys...

but the garage is unlikely...it's not in the "path" from the breaker box. However, the proximity and probable wiring path indicates this is coming from the attic...I will check there. The outlets are both located on top of the foundation as this location is the entrance foyer, which was built as an add-on to the house about 20 years ago. And wow, because of the tin roof built for it, we've had nothing but trouble with it....I could go on and on.

Old 12-07-06, 12:10 PM
Check the garage anyway.