Hooking up "Extra Circuits"

Old 12-07-06, 03:06 PM
dwc
Hooking up "Extra Circuits"

When the house was built I asked the builder to run two extra circuits to the basement for future expansion (the main panel is in the garage). What I have is a cable running from the panel to an outlet in the basement . The cable has 4 total wires, one white, one black, one red, and copper ground. Nothing is hooked up on either end.

My assumption on how to wire these circuits hot is to add two circuit breakers to the main panel hooking one up to either the black or red and using the white as netural. hooking the other breaker up to the other red or black again using white as netural.

This sound right? In other words, I will be using the single white wire as the netural for both circuits.

DWC

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-06, 03:22 PM
The type circuit you describe is a shared neutral. It is often used, but you should explain what your use will be to properly coment.

Old 12-07-06, 04:29 PM
You are correct with one very important fact left out. The two circuit breakers must be hooked to different hot legs. The easiest way to assure this is to a double pole 240 volt breaker.

Old 12-07-06, 08:12 PM
dwc
The plan is to use the circuits for lights and outlets in an excercise room and another bedroom I am finishing off.

I was planning on using two 20 amp breakers and installing one on each side of the panel.

thanks for the help and advice.

DWC

Old 12-07-06, 08:30 PM
Group Moderator
DWC wrote: "I was planning on using two 20 amp breakers and installing one on each side of the panel."

Depending on panel installing on opposite sides does not mean they will be on different legs. The bedroom will need an AFCI circuit. It really sounds as if you should have at least three circuits.

Old 12-08-06, 05:43 AM
If you have a bedroom, and it must be a legal bedroom, meaning proper egress, then you have no choice but to use a 240 volt AFCI circuit breaker.