Kenmore Microwave Zaps

Reply

  #1  
Old 12-07-06, 05:14 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 10
Unhappy Kenmore Microwave Zaps

My 11 year old Kenmore microwave oven intermittantly makes a zapping sound (like it is arching inside) when it is turned on. I never know when it is going to do it. A few days ago it not only made the zapping noise, but I also saw a small flame coming from either the inside vent or the hole where the probe plugs in. Needless to say, I have unplugged it and stopped using it until I can get it fixed.

Any ideas what is wrong with it?
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 12-07-06, 06:48 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
It doesn;t matter what's wrong with it. Dispose of it and buy a new one.

It's not worth repairing. After eleven years the magnetron is shot anyway. A new one will cost less to operate and be more powerful.
 
  #3  
Old 12-08-06, 05:16 AM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 118
If I remember correctly, there was a recall on certain Kenmore microwaves for that time frame. Bottom line, as Bob said, is to junk it.
 
  #4  
Old 12-08-06, 07:18 AM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 994
I wouldn't necessarily say it's not worth repairing. I had a similar thing happen to a Sharp Carousel a few years back. Turned out the mica "window" had a hole burned in it. I bought a replacement window for about $3.00 and used the microwave for several more years.
 
  #5  
Old 12-08-06, 09:59 AM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
My comment about the magnetron should not be glossed over. As the unit is used and ages, the magnetron loses power. You don't realize it, but over time it takes longer and longer to perform the same amount of work. Replacing the unit will make things heat up faster and use less energy. You will be amazed at how much time and money is saved.

A couple of dollars to buy a small part or two is one thing, but any work a shop does will be expensive. With microwaves costing less than $100 for small ones, and not much more than that for larger ones, it's hard to justify a repair bill of $100 or more.
 
  #6  
Old 12-08-06, 09:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 10,533
> until I can get it fixed.

I too recommend replacing it, but if you do want to repair it take it to a shop. Microwaves are very hazardous to work on without proper high-voltage discharge equipment. The magnetron operates around 4000V, and the capacitor that feeds the magnatron's voltage doubler circuit is charged with at least 2000V even when the appliance is unplugged.
 
  #7  
Old 12-08-06, 09:57 PM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 249
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
It doesn;t matter what's wrong with it. Dispose of it and buy a new one.

It's not worth repairing. After eleven years the magnetron is shot anyway. A new one will cost less to operate and be more powerful.
If you fill comfortable digging into it you could try to open it up and clean it good. A lot of the time grease builds up in the microwave and causes heating and arcing once the crud has carbonized a bit. I have an old amana tha tstill works just fine. IF you cant do this yourself I wouldnt bother taking it to a shop as it would ccost more than its worth
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes