Light Fixture Wiring Help...Please!!!

Old 12-07-06, 08:03 PM
Question Light Fixture Wiring Help...Please!!!

Ok.. This is my first post and I have never turned to online forum before for help but i am truly baffled on this. In one of my bedrooms, I am attempting to replace one light fixture with another. Both are ceiling mount incandescent fixtures. One difference, if it matters, is the old fixture had 3 sockets, the new one has two.
So I take off the old fixture to find that there are three black wires and three white as well as the ground. My intital attempt I just did black to black and white to white. I should note that two of all the wires(one black and one white) are not originating from the same spot in the electrical box as the other wires.. hopefully that makes sense.
So once i hooked everything up as I noted above and flipped the power on this is what I had. The light was on, even though the light switch, a dimmer, was off. And I flipped the dimmer switch on to hear a pop which led me to believe i blew out the switch and the light remained on. Also, two outlets in the room were powerless. So obviously the extra wires in the electrical box somehow are powering some of the outlets in the room right?
In doing some questioning at my local hardware store they told me that somehow those there needed to be some sort of different configuration... so at this point I am at a complete loss... hopefully this makes sense.. i will be glad to provide more detail should anyone have some advice for me...Im at my wits end as this shouldnt be that difficult. Also, the switch is just a single pole two wire and a ground deal... I will look for responses
Thanks.. cmishh

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-06, 08:20 PM
You should have connected the same two wires to the new fixture that were connected to the old one.

In order to answer your question, the wiring at the dimmer (or the new switch) is very important. Please describe it.

The likely scenario is that the light switch is a switch loop. If this is correct then you put 120 volts across the dimmer when you turned it on. You probably ruined the dimmer.

If I am correct then, you will have to figure out which two wires in the ceiling box go to the dimmer.

Old 12-07-06, 08:48 PM
Light fixture questions

Hey.. thanks for the reply.. being a complete novice at this i did not reference the connections of the old fixture, and now i know that there is going to be some trial and error involved. In terms of the switch, yes i beleive that I burned out that dimmer... the switch wiring is just one black, and one white wire coming from the electrical box.
One other thing to note is the wires in the ceiling box that i mentioned, meaning the three black and three white, one of the black wires has some white paint on the casing and I thought i read somewhere that could have some bearing on things...
I will wait for reply
thanks

Old 12-08-06, 06:42 AM
You should not be attempting this type of work without at least having read some books on wiring. Electricity can and does kill people.

Ignore the white paint on the wire. It means nothing. A black wire should not be painted white.

You need to figure out which two wires (a black and a white) go to the switch.

Connect the black wire from the switch to the black wire of the light.

Connect the white wire from the switch to the other two black wires.

Connect the other two white wires and the white wire of the light.

Connect all ground wires together and include the ground wire of the light and a pigtail to the metal box.

Old 12-08-06, 06:44 AM
Hey...

Thanks... I have done some reading on the subject, maybe a little too much. I have done some basic light fixture changes in the past and felt pretty comfortable with this type of job.... I do appreciate the concern and will continue to be extra careful when attemting what you suggest... I will keep you posted on the results and again thanks = )

Old 12-09-06, 10:26 AM
Smile Light Fixture Fixed

Thanks Racraft..

Just wanted to let you know that your instructions worked and the light is up and works perfectly.

Thank you again for your assistance

Old 12-09-06, 11:03 AM
I'm glad that I could help. Next time remember to keep track of the existing wiring before you disconnect anything. And please do read s book or two on home wiring. I recommend "Wiring Simplified," available at most big box stores. Any good book on home wiring will explain switch loops, which is how your switch and light are wired.