220v split

Old 12-07-06, 07:19 PM
220v split

Can I use the 220v line for my range to also provide the current/power for a 220v tankless water heater? Can I split the 220v line, like you can with 110, in order to operate both units? It would be nearly impossible for me to run a second 220v line to the same area to supply the water heater. This is part of a remodeling project that already had a 220 line run. It seems to me that as long as the current requirements are less than the breaker rated amperage, this would not be a problem. Should I use a terminal block in order to do the splitting?
joe

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-06, 07:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Smile

No you can't do this, sorry. Explore the other option, A new line.
I know it can be done, because you stated "nearly impossible".

Give some details of your layout (the house), there may be some way you can't imagine.

Old 12-07-06, 07:53 PM
It will require a seperate breaker and wiring to meet code most likely.

Old 12-07-06, 07:55 PM
You could run new romex from the box into the attic and fish through the walls? Not extremely difficult. But, that depends if you have a attic.

Old 12-07-06, 09:34 PM
Your range is probably on a 240 volt 40 amp circuit. Tops, it may be a 50 amp. The smallest tankless I have seen requires 80 amps ( as in TWO double pole 40 amp breakers) , so your range circuit and wiring are not even close to being adequate for this, much less for sharing the load.

You MUST put in a new dedicated circuit, sized to the requirements specified by your manufacturer.