Miniture Christmas Lights

Old 12-08-06, 05:15 AM
Miniture Christmas Lights

I have a problem with miniture Christmas lights. I have a large wreath that hangs outside on my porch. The lights on the wreath burn constantly. I also have a bird house on a stand, made by my father in law, that has the miniture lights wrapped around it and it burns constantly also.

The lights keep burning out. Not one light but the entire strand. Every light on the strand has a black mark on the inside of the bulb but the fuse is in tact. I've replaced bulbs and the light strands and the same thing happens.

A friend suggested that there may be too much voltage coming into the house. I checked it and it was 122.4 which is what my power company says it should be. I just bought more lights and restrung everything. I also bought new garland for around the door but I really hate to use any of the lights knowing full well that the lights will be toast by the end of December.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kip

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-06, 05:47 AM
When you replace miniature lights, you need lights of the same voltage. They are NOT all the same.

Whenever I buy lights, I buy an extra set that I use for spare bulbs.

Old 12-08-06, 05:49 AM
Count how many lights on the string and divide into 120. That will give you the voltage you need for the bulbs. You need to change all the bulbs at the same time. Probably cheaper to buy a new string of lights.

Old 12-08-06, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the replies but I've replaced the strands with a brand new strand and in a short period of time the whole strand is shot.

I took the buy a strand for replacement bulb apporach for my Christmas tree lights since it is much cheaper to buy the strand versus the replacement bulbs and I know that I have the correct bulbs for the strands I'm using.

Old 12-08-06, 08:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Since the strand fuse has not blown, we know it's not overloaded. Silly question, but, are there any animals, i.e. squirrels, etc that might be biting into the cord and shorting them out?

And you are installing UL approved outdoor lights, and not indoor?

Old 12-08-06, 08:29 AM
Wink

Have you checked out the new LED lights they use 85% less power. Burn bright and are cool to touch

Old 12-08-06, 11:56 AM
The lights on the wreath are outside and are outdoor lights. I'm not sure about the lights on the birdhouse but its always inside. There's no signs of squirrel damage.

Last edited by khorn; 12-08-06 at 01:29 PM. Reason: forgot the NO in front of squirrels
Old 12-08-06, 01:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Squirrels are the devil. They are almost impossible to get rid off. Get yourself a pellet gun and take care of that rodent problem.