Door bell goes ding when it should go########

Old 12-09-06, 01:04 AM
Cool Door bell goes ding when it should go########

Installed new door bell the other day and pushed the button and it went ding when it should chime ding dong. The new door bell chime is a two tone unit. What do you think is wrong? I was guessing wrong xfmr. However, I've yet to find it.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-06, 05:06 AM
Did you hook up the front door button wires to the back door terminals on the unit. Most units have terminals for the front door and back door and the back door usually only dings so you know what door the person is at.

Old 12-09-06, 12:29 PM
Matching just about anything electrical by location is not a good idea. You need to READ the terminals.

Chimes have two inputs and a common. One is a single tone, the other is both tones. They are designed for two doors, with the two different sounds allowing you to know what doorbell is being pressed.

Check your connections.

Old 12-09-06, 12:34 PM
The way I took the wires from the old unit is how I installed them on the new unit. There's only one button, front. I made sure it is on the right terminals. Just don't make sense, however; old unit only chimed once also.

Old 12-09-06, 04:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some chime bases are marked " up" or "top". Is it correctly mounted? Sometimes the plunger will drag and not make back to the second chime bar. Since the old chime did not work right, don't be a copy cat. Put one wire to the "F" or front screw and the second wire to the "X" or transformer screw.

Old 12-09-06, 04:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Remove the packing blocks. You'ld be amazed at what I've found.

Old 12-09-06, 08:29 PM
I installed a doorbell that required a small resistor to be placed across the front door's button terminals in order for the full chime to sound. Without the resistor, only the single back door chime would sound.

Old 12-09-06, 08:59 PM
I made sure to put one wire on "F" or front and one wire on xfmr. The unit is mounted correctly in relation to the arrows on the unit. I don't remember anything in the directions about a resistor, and I wii have to double check on the packing foam. You're right about what and where you can find things. If all else fails I think I may look into a wireless model.

Old 12-09-06, 10:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Watch the chime as someone pushes the button. The plunger should come partially out of the solinoid and strike one chime bar, then with spring action, go the opposite direction and strike the second chime bar. If it seems weak in either direction, compare the chime voltage specs against the transformer. You may need a replacement transformer to properly drive the chime.
I don't think (personal opinion) that you will be happy with a wireless unit. The outside button is the weak link and cold weather either kills the battery or causes moisture to corrode the contacts.

Old 12-10-06, 08:47 AM
The difference between the back and front plunger is often a rubber tip on one end of the back door plunger. Check which plunger is moving when you hit the front button. Move the wire the b terminal and see what happens.

Old 12-10-06, 05:27 PM
I did move the terminal. NADA!! That is what I think is wrong-the xfmr. But like I said in my original post, I've yet to find the xfmr.

Old 12-10-06, 06:47 PM
I've usually found the xfrmr connected to a lightbase in the basement..
If you have no basement, follow the wires if you can..

Old 12-10-06, 08:20 PM
Talking

Excuse me. IT'S A FREAKEN doorbell. I just expressed your frustration.

You can't find the transformer!? I'm at a loss... Good luck.

Old 12-11-06, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by BOP101 View Post
I've yet to find the xfmr.

Checked your attic? That's where mines at.

Old 12-12-06, 08:23 AM
Group Moderator
Or just a bad door chime. These things at the big box store are incredibly cheaply made. I'd get another one not of the same model to be sure I wasn't just getting another bad one from the same lot and try it.

I also had one that wouldn't work when the screws holding it to the wall were tight. Loosen the screws it worked fine. Best guess was slight curvature of wall that put it in a bind.

Before spending more time looking for the transformer measure the voltage when the chime is rung. If it stays around 17 V it probably isn't the transformer. You can isolate what circuit the xformer is on by flipping breakers one at a time. That may give you an idea where to look. Still can't find it temporarily hook a new transformer to the chime and see if it works. Stll doesn't work you need a different chime.