Switch for Low Voltage Halogen under Cabinate Lighting.

Old 12-11-06, 08:26 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Switch for Low Voltage Halogen under Cabinate Lighting.

I am looking to put Low Voltage Halogen (12 volt) lighting under cabinate lighting in our kitchen. In looking I have found the simple type that you just plug into an outlet, and has a toggle switch on the cord, however I want to be able to hook the lighting up to a wall switch.

1. Is it possible to cut the cord after the toggle switch then wire that up to standard 12/2 wire (as long as the connection is within a standard Electrical box?). Then have that wired to a standard wall switch?

2. If this isn't an option, any suggestions?
Thanks,

Old 12-12-06, 02:54 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
No, but you could put a box with a switch/receptacle combo device and plug into that or just a receptacle.

Old 12-12-06, 04:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I concur. Switch your transformer, not the light string. If your transformer is in a cabinet, run a circuit to that cabinet, install a receptacle and switch it at the location of your choice.

Old 12-12-06, 03:05 PM
P
Just wanted to mention a cheap way to add under cabinet lights to your kitchen. I used rope lights under my cabinets. They are super easy to install as they are flexible and you can go around corners if you wish. You can buy a whole roll of the lights for less than $10.00. I ran 2 lines of them to an outlet inside my cabinet which is controled by a wall mounted dimmer. They have a nice warm light and seem to last a long time (5yrs so far)

Old 12-12-06, 04:30 PM
current runs on the outside of the wire, with low voltage 12 volt usually, you want to use stranded wire the finer the strands the better since voltage loss on 12 v. will dim the lights - also you don't want any runs more than 20 feet and yes switch the transformer

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: