installing lamp post's

Old 12-09-06, 07:26 AM
installing lamp post's

I have a long 600' driveway. I would like to run electric down around 350' to install five lamp post. My question would be what type of wiring for that length (350") and still be able to hook up all five posts? And is there anyway
to use a motion detector light to set the lights on and off as needed?
thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-06, 08:04 AM
350 feet is a long distance. You will have voltage drop. This may force you to use incandescent bulbs. The key questions are:

What size (wattage) bulbs were you planning on using? The more power needed, the larger the wire needs to be to maintain the voltage.

Are the lights are at the same 350 foot distance (more or less) or are they spaced out along that distance? If the lights are all at the same distance, they will all get roughly the same voltage. If they are spaces out along the distance then those closer to the panel will get a higher voltage.

Old 12-09-06, 08:16 AM
Bob thanks for your reply. The lights will be evenly spaced apart for the whole 350', I really dont have any idea of what wattage bulbs i was going to get. The driveway goes through the woods, so I am not looking for extra bright. Dim would even be fine. And is there a way to hook up through motion detecher?

Old 12-09-06, 09:58 AM
Motion detectors might be tough to do with post lights. The best advice is to look and see what types of motion detectors are available.

Calculating voltage drop for your situation is not a straight forward task. Technically you need to calculate the voltage drop for each section of the run. Your run mgiht be 70 feet to the first light, then 70 feet more, then 70 feet more, etc., totaling 350 feet at the fifth light.

You would probably be okay with 12 gage wire, but you might want to upsize to 10 gage. With incandescent bulbs, the worst that will happen is that the bulbs will not burn as brightly.

Old 12-09-06, 01:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Question

I would recomend,#10 wire for the first half of the run then # 12.Up each post you can use #12, And perhaps a Photo cell at each light.They sell the nice little compact ones that fit in the pole,just drill a 7/8" hole and wire them in.

Old 12-11-06, 08:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While you're at it, you might want to consider adding a receptacle (GFCI) at one or two of the lamp posts. The first time you need a power tool somewhere along your driveway you'll be happy you did. It's not easy finding 300' of extension cords when you need them.

Also, great for adding Christmas lights in the future if you're so inclined.

Old 12-12-06, 02:52 PM
thanks for all your help. what you tell me makes good sense. I wll use all of the your advice. photocells sound good, but that means i cant turn them off at night, or can i still put the lights on a switch?

Old 12-12-06, 02:53 PM
Yes, you can still install a switch even if photocells are in place.

Old 12-12-06, 05:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Smile

You must only remember to turn the switch on before you leave in the AM,Or the photocells are useless.