Cleaning up some wiring

Old 12-11-06, 11:08 AM
Cleaning up some wiring

I'm looking at fixing some wiring issues in the basement as I am adding a manual transfer switch. I found two circuits in the basement sharing a neutral, but without a common breaker. I have two 15amp breakers going into some 14/3 feeing the 5 basement lights (porceline base and bulb) and furnace blower. I would imagine that I would want both on while using generator. Can I combine the two safely so I'm only using one of my transfer switch breakers?

Also, I have a sump pump that rarely if ever turns on. It shares a 20 amp circuit with the washer and gas dryer (I know, I know). I'm just trying to clean this up and get ready for the next ice storm. We were without power for four days here in StL MO.

Thanks guys.
-Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-06, 11:08 AM
How is it you want to combine the furnace and light circuit?

What is your question about the sump pump circuit?

Old 12-11-06, 11:30 AM
Your circuits that share a neutral are called a multi-wire circuit. It is best, especially in a residence to put these on a 240 volt breaker. I would do this.

If the washer/dryer and sump pump are a multi-wire circuit, then I would share a 240 volt 20 amp breaker. If they are a single 120 volt circuit, I would separate them into two distinct circuits.

Old 12-11-06, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the attention Racraft. You offer some of the best advice on this board.

I'm asking a how would you do it/best practice question. My last house was new and I never messed with the electrical. This one is a mish mash of very well done K&T, some not so good NM, and a lot of that cloth covered two wire.

I bit the bullet and had my Pushmatic panel replaced with a Cutler Hammer QO and now I want to work my way through the circuits making things make sense. I've read posts where you don't want two circuits sharing the same neutral unless it is a two pole breaker, which this isn't. So if you were wiring a sump pump, gas furnace, and basement lighting, how would you do it?

Old 12-11-06, 01:12 PM
What about the basement lighting and furnace blower on the same 15 amp circuit?

Old 12-11-06, 06:40 PM
As I stated, I would install a 240 volt breaker and leave those as a multi-wire circuit.

Old 12-12-06, 12:55 AM
Thanks again.