Indoor Light Switch to Outdoor Photo Cell

Old 12-11-06, 03:47 PM
Question Indoor Light Switch to Outdoor Photo Cell

An electrician connected my once operating photo cell to an indoor light switch. I had to switch my outdoor porch lights on & off. I want to use the old photo cell instead. Problem is I'm not sure how to change the wiring since this is an old house. I open the outdoor photo cell box & find the box wiring as such: white & black from the one line, the white end capped off. But the black is capped to yet another black wire which runs into the wall? The photo cell unit itself has two black wires running from it, which are exactly alike. I tried connecting one black photo cell unit wire to the two capped black wires but when I went to connect the other photo cell unit black wire to the white wire I got a spark. Doesn't seem it should be so hard? Do I first take the indoor light switch wires off and capped them before working with the outdoor photo cell? And how do I solve the issue of the two black and one white wires connecting to the two black photo cell unit wires...???? HELP???

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-06, 07:31 PM
How many leads come out of that photocell?

Photo cells usually have three leads. One white, one black, and one blue or red. The white goes to the white wire from the cable, The black goes to the black wire form the cable, and the red or blue one goes to the light socket/s to be controlled.