forever replacing lightbulbs....

Old 12-11-06, 06:37 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question forever replacing lightbulbs....

I have been in this house for 3.5 years now and I've never had to replace so many lightbulbs. 3 kids and a lot of use, but as an example, I installed two (2) 3-floodlight ceiling fixtures just 6 months ago and they are now down to 1 lightbulb in each fixture. I would bet I change the kids ceiling fixture lights at least twice a year, if not more.

Any guesses what could cause this? Anything I can test? The house was built in 1978 and has 200 amp service. I have the panel pretty well loaded up breaker-wise, but it's been like this since we moved in. Kind of has me worried a bit. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-06, 06:57 PM
R
Cheap bulbs. Excessive vibration. Excessive voltage.

Old 12-11-06, 07:02 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
First, you need to try to determine how many hours the lights are actually lasting. Ligh bulbs are designed to last a finite time. It;s usually listed on the packaging.

a couple other things that affect life. vibration. if the lamps are exposed to a lot of vibration, it will shorten life span. Temp swings. if the lamps are exposed to large abrupt temp variations, that too can shorten life.

Next, I would take a voltage reading. If it is under 108 or over 132 volts, call the POCO and report it. Actually if it is even fairly close to those numbers, I would still call the POCO.

If it is anywhere close, I would call the POCO and ask for a recorder to be put on to record voltage over an extended time period.

hang on for others advice

Old 12-11-06, 07:15 PM
P
I thought about cheap lightbulbs when buying another dozen this weekend. Bought long life bulbs this time. Temperature has almost no fluctuation to speak of and it's a single story home, so I don't think vibration would be it. I do admit to buying cheap but name brand bulbs.

I'll take some voltage readings, see what I come up with and see how the better bulbs last. Thing of it is....is.....that I've always bought the cheap bulbs in other homes and haven't had near the frequency of failure I do at this home.

Thanks, I'll do as suggested and anxiously await any more opinions or even wild guesses!

Old 12-12-06, 09:07 PM
S
i used to work for electric company...
the major cause of frequent bulbs blowing was faulty/loose ground, usually at the electric pole or transformer...
contact your electric company and ask them to check their grounds

Old 12-12-06, 09:25 PM
Wink

Take and try some 130V bulbs They last a long time.