Lights dimming....is this normal?

Old 12-12-06, 02:05 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lights dimming....is this normal?

Since my wife and I moved into our 3 year old house we have noticed that the lights dim when they are under a heavy load. If the a/c or heat comes on its just a quick flicker throught the house. If we use a vacuum or iron it causes the lights to dim on that circuit and they will stay dim until we turn the vacuum or iron off. I have had the power company come and they say everything is ok on their end. I have had an electrician come out to check all the connections and they could not find the problem. Is this a normal problem to have? The electrican said it was because in the living room and bedrooms the lights are on the same circuit as the outlets and thats why we are seeing the lights dim when we are under load. Its this true or is he just feeding me a line. Nothing else seems to cause the lights to dim other than the a/c, iron and vacuum. On the bright side I have not noticed any lights getting brighter just dimming.

Old 12-12-06, 02:12 PM
R
Why do you think the electrician is feeding you a line. You paid him or her for his or her time. If you did not feel you were getting a straight answer you should have continued questioning him or her until you did feel you were getting a straight answer.

Using a heavy load on a circuit causes the voltage to drop. A voltage drop causes lights to dim.

Unfortunately your house was wired cheaply. Better attention to wiring would have separated the hard wired lights and the RECEPTACLES, eliminating the problem you see.

Old 12-12-06, 02:20 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
> The electrican said it was because in the living room and bedrooms the
> lights are on the same circuit as the outlets and thats why we are seeing the
> lights dim when we are under load. Its this true or is he just feeding me a line.

He's correct. Your house probably also only has 15A circuits with #14 wire which is the code minimum, and makes the dimming more noticable. Most any builder/spec/row house is wired like this to save money in construction.

Old 12-12-06, 02:32 PM
M
Thanks for the replies. The only reason I was questioning the electrician is that its out first house and first time having to deal with an electrician, so I wasnt sure if he was just feeding me a line so he wouldnt have to deal with searching for the problem. After problems I have had with our builder it has been hard to trust many techs that have come to our house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: