Another lights dimming question

Old 12-13-06, 04:20 AM
Another lights dimming question

I'm rehabing this old house & have some temporary circuits wired up, all brand new wiring. 200A QO Panel. Every time I use my Miter saw, the lights dim. I checked the nameplate on the saw & it says 15A. However, I don't have that much connected to my main panel. The only things that were getting power last night was my saw, radio, cordless drill battery charger, & work light, & that's it. The lights are on their own 15A circuit & there are only (3) 100 watt bulbs on the entire circuit. The circuit the saw was on is a 20A. Even if I was close on amps with the saw circuit, that shouldn't effect the seperate lighting circuit should it? I'm just worried if I'm having dimming issues now with lights that aren't even on the same circuit as my saw, what's going to happen when I have an AC Unit or furnace kicking on? The way it sounds to me is that the issue is somewhere between the pole & my panel. Am I right?

Thanks yet again,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-06, 04:40 AM
dimming source

You make a valid point of a possible fault in the power entering your service. First, has any other house in your immediate area experienced the same problem? Have you connected a voltmeter at the incoming feed to the panel? If the voltage entering drops appreciably when you repeat this scenario, yes, the trouble is external. While using your saw and the dimming occurs, is there any heat buildup anywhere in the panel?

Old 12-13-06, 04:58 AM
Voltage at the panel is at about 247 volts if I recall correctly. Did not check for heat buildup. Haven't talked to any neighbors about it.

Old 12-13-06, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Voltage at the panel is at about 247 volts if I recall correctly. Did not check for heat buildup. Haven't talked to any neighbors about it.
Check the voltage from hot leg to neutral. It should be 123 volts based on the
247 you quoted. Start the saw. If the voltage drops at the panel to a low level then you have a problem back toward the utility transformer. It could be in the panel, at the meter or at the transformer. If it does not drop then you have a problem between the panel and the saw.

Old 01-02-07, 04:47 AM
Ok, finally got around to checking the voltage drop. It started at 123 as stated & it dropped to about 119 when the saw started, then came back up. Is this ok or bad? Not sure how relevent it is, but the other leg did nothing, stayed right at 123.