Box Support

Old 12-13-06, 07:47 PM
Gen
Box Support

I have a 2-gang metal box inside the wall. It is along a stud and I'm pretty sure it has been nailed above and below. Unfortunately it has loosened over time and when you pull a plug out, the box swings inward.

Is there anything I can do to support it short of putting in a new box?
I thought of putting in box clamps, but the face of the box has what I think is called a mud ring screwed in--which attaches the outlets.

Problem is this mud ring curves inward covering the box edge. Can box clamps still work? or should I do otherwise? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-06, 08:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Question

when you pull a plug out, the box swings inward.

Now thats unique.

If this is truly a mud ring, you could go with an oversize plate. Mark the out line, get a self tapping screw and small washer. Go thru the dry wall and the mud ring. Sometimes if you drill and tap the back of the box (1/4x20) You can install a bolt/screw to secure to the back wall. carefully.

Old 12-13-06, 09:43 PM
You probably have one of these with a 2 gang device cover (mud ring). So do you think this is what you have?

http://www.hubbellonline.com/wiring/raco_bell/pdf/a23.pdf

Roger

Old 12-13-06, 09:49 PM
Other alternatives:

1. Shut off power to the receptacle and remove it. Move wires aside to provide a clear approach to the side of the box against the wall stud. Drill two holes through the box into the stud with a 1/8" or 3/16" bit. (One hole toward the top of the box and one toward the bottom.) Install two truss or pan head screws to secure the box to the stud.

2. Shut off power to the receptable and remove it. Using a reciprocating saw on low, with a short (< 4") bi-metal blade, run the blade between the outside edge of the box and the stud to cut through any fasteners that may be holding it in place. Remove the old box, and install an old work style box.

I've used both these methods successfully in the past.

Best wishes!

Old 12-14-06, 05:08 AM
Gen
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
You probably have one of these with a 2 gang device cover (mud ring). So do you think this is what you have?

http://www.hubbellonline.com/wiring/raco_bell/pdf/a23.pdf

Roger
Yes

Though I can't exactly see which stud attaching method I have, thats the box I have--but the mud ring is attached to face of it.

Old 12-14-06, 06:49 AM
Well your situation is a difficult one since you are wanting to avoid any drywall repair and the mud ring complicates things. I'll add this to what rd said... In some cases you may be able to get a small cordless right angle drill and bore the side of the box next to the stud. Sometimes you may have to get a mini-bit or break a bit in a vise to get the clearance you need for the drill. Then shoot a couple screws through the box into the stud. Just a way to pull the box tight without the tendency to make the box move back in the wall if the screws are at too much of an angle.
Otherwise you can cut the box out with a sawzall or a hand saw that utilizes a hacksaw blade. The trick of course is to cut the brackets then you have to hope that there is enough slack in the cables to get the box out where you can get the clamps loose to remove the cables from the box. Then you would reinstall an old work box. You have to be darn careful you dont cut the cables so be careful.

If all else fails brush up on your drywall repair skills.

Roger

Old 12-14-06, 03:14 PM
Gen
Thanks for all the replies. I missed the simplest answer--which was to remove the mud ring attached to the box, then put the box clamps in, put the mud ring back on and done.
The box is now rock solid with the cover plate on.