Electrical wiring question

Old 12-14-06, 07:31 AM
Electrical wiring question

I currently have sunken spotlights in my kitchen. I am in the process of removing some of my kitchen units and thus the spotlights contained within them. As the lights are wired through my attic, with my house in the format it is, I have difficulty getting access to totally remove the wiring for the spots in question.

Would it be safe to terminate the ends of the removed spotlight wires on termination blocks, tape them up to prevent any potential fire hazard and simply place them behind my plasterboard wall and plaster over to hide?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-06, 07:43 AM
No.

All wire connections and terminations must be made in permanently accessible junction boxes.

You must either completely remove the wiring or install junction boxes in the attic that you can get to from the attic.

Old 12-14-06, 08:43 AM
You don't actuallly need to remove the cables. If you can disconnect the cable at the end where power gets applied(the switch or the other lights) you can leave a de-energized cable in place. Turning off the switch does not count as de-energized. It must be disconnected.

You can not tape, wire nut or otherwise leave enegized cable inside a wall without a box that is accessible.

Old 12-14-06, 01:12 PM
"You must either completely remove the wiring or install junction boxes in the attic that you can get to from the attic."

Not so. All that you need to do is remove the power source - by permanently disconnecting it. That could be disconnecting from a brealer or as simple as disconnecting from a fixture upstream.The cables then may be cut back, taped and secured. It might be a good idea to tape a small note to the wires for the next guy.

Old 12-14-06, 01:27 PM
Wayne, My answer was in keeping with the original poster's conditions, that the wiring needs to remain. Of course you can simply disconnect the power source, but that will kill any and all downstream devices, of which it sounds like there are some.

Old 12-14-06, 07:50 PM
My response was to your comment that the wiring must be completely removed. That statement is incorrect. There was nothing in the OP that indicated a downstream load one way or another.

Old 12-15-06, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I had never thought of just disconnecting from the supply side and leaving the wire. My restricted access may allow me to do this a lot easier than trying to remove the cable.

Thanks again.