Washing Machine Receptacle

Old 12-15-06, 03:37 AM
Washing Machine Receptacle

Hello to all-
My question is why does the NEC not call for GFCI protection for a washing machine receptacle? I currently have a dedicated circuit with a GFCI duplex receptacle for my washing machine. I know this is not to code as there should be only a simplex receptacle for this circuit. Should I replace my duplex GFCI receptacle with a simplex receptacle with a GFCI circuit breaker, or just go with a standard appropriately rated circuit breaker and simplex receptacle? I understand the function of the GFI is to limit the duration of a current imbalance, and thereby save your life. When touching water your skin resistance which averages 20k ohms is drastically reduced and for any given voltage the current which flows through your body increases (E=IR). Why not have this protection at a washing machine?

Thanks!
Ray.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-06, 03:55 AM
This circuit is supposed to be dedicated for the washer only, and appliances with motors often don't get along well with GFI devices, often produce false tripping.

Old 12-15-06, 05:23 AM
There is no requirement that the washer be a simplex receptacle. There is also no requirement that explicitly states that a washer receptacle must be GFCI protected.

Old 12-15-06, 09:26 AM
ddr
light on same circuit as washing machine

I hope this is on a similar enough note that I'm not "highjacking" a thread:

It is my understanding that you can not have a light for the washing machine area on the same circuit as the machine itself. I understand that, by definition, a dedicated line for the machine means just that: only the machine on the line, but what danger does having a light on the same circuit create?

Old 12-15-06, 09:58 AM
Code requires that the laundry be served by a dedicated 20 amp circuit. You can have as many receptacles on that circuit as you want, as long as they serve the laundry itself. There is NO requirement for a dedicated receptacle.

Code wants the full 20 amp circuit to be available for laundry equipment. Having lights on the circuit would take away from the circuit capacity.

Old 12-15-06, 01:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The 2005 NEC requires any receptacles within 6 foot of a laundry tub or sink in a laundry room to be GFI protected. This includes the washer receptacle. There is no exception for a simplex receptacle.

210.8 (A)(7)

Old 12-15-06, 02:10 PM
However, no sink in the laundry or a sink further away than six feet means no GFCI required.

Old 12-16-06, 03:14 AM
Thanks to all for clearing up that issue. I am in compliance then. I still am unclear as to why no GFCI is required for the washer, except I understand Justbills comment. I guess if you have a recep with ground there is enough preotection built into the washing machine itself. Thanks to all again for your time and knowledge!